Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

New to salt aquariums

I got marine salt for my 40g tank along with a hydrometer I'm waiting for my LFS to get the right sand for it while I'm waiting dies anyone have tips on how or what I should do and also do you need special lights for live rock or no

Old 07-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What type of sand are you getting. Getting dry sand which is not live will save you money. You may also want to look at marcorocks.com or reefrocks.com for dry rock. Live rock is very expensive. I beleive at reefrocks.com if you order so much rock you get better deals on sand. I think you get free shipping too. If you go with dry substrate and rock you will need to buy a piece of live rock to seed you tank. This is prlly the cheapest way. You dont need a light for your rock. For the lights befpre buying any you really need to know what type of tank you are setting up. Fowlr (fish only with live rock) softie, lps, sps or mixed reef. The reason is so you dont buy lights then have to go buy more bc you didnt get the lights you need. What type of filtration system are you going to use. Many and id say most people use a refugium or sump.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

+1 on Edwards advice.

You don't need to get any live rock though. You can use all dry sand and rock and it will turn live over time. Just be sure to thoroughly cycle everything before adding any livestock. Also, even if it's your very first fish QT it for 30 days before putting it in your DT. I didn't and ended up seriously regretting it. It's hell to get rid of ich in a DT.

What do you have planned for this tank? Reef? Fowlr? Fish only with plans on upgrading to a reef?
Old 07-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I plan on making a FOWLR tank so I don't have to get a filter again and I plan on getting live plants first then getting fish
Old 07-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLARBEAR0871 View Post
I plan on making a FOWLR tank so I don't have to get a filter again and I plan on getting live plants first then getting fish
Planted salt tanks are sweet I would research which plants you want because some of them can have some pretty robust lighting needs. Other than that you shouldn't need anything special as far as lighting. I would probably go with a dual t5 fixture running a 10000k and an actinic blue light.

How much water flow will you have in the tank from your current filter?
Old 07-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't even have a filter right now but the current was terrible I blew San everywhere when it was freshwater I plan on making this a reef eventually
Old 07-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anymore advice would be highly appreciated
Old 07-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your future plans are for a reef I highly recommend you invest in an ro-di filter so you can make your own water. Good water quality is the key to saltwater! I would also aim for at least 1-2 pounds per gallon of rock (either live or dry) have a think about the type of filtration you want to use, a sump would be hugely beneficial on this tank...
Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

While a sump has several benefits I don't think it would be a neccessity. I ran a 55g without a sump for awhile and had great success. I can't argue the extra water volume and place to put your equipment wouldnt be good, but if the OP doesnt have the means or $$ to do it he can have a great tank anyways.

I agree that an ro/di unit would be a super investment. Either that or you will be lugging water home every week or so. It really is a godsend to have one. You can get one for less than $100 for a portable unit or anywhere from $125 and up for a more permanent unit.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I might just keep it a FOWLR tank mainly cuz idk what the heck I'm doing lol I just poured the salt into the tank and I'm letting it sit and dissolve I'm getting the sand Tuesday and possibly some live rock and I want the live rock to be my filter I don't wanna have to keep going out and buyin new filters all the time I don't have the time or money for it so what should I do to have the live rock as a filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com