Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New to salt tanks

Hi everyone. We are new to all of this and researching how to set up a new saltwater tank. My 12 year old daughter showed great care and interest in her freshwater tank and is dying to set up a saltwater. I have heard many opinions both ways. We are thinking a 29 gallon to start. Any tips and advice to get started would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Welcome to the forum!!
There are some great articles on this site you might want to refer to. Here are a couple:

Important Information for those new to the Aquarium Hobby

Cycle your salt tank

Old 02-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies. And there are a bunch of things on line. Just google something like "setting up saltwater aquarium". I have a 29 gal Biocube by Oceanic, might be a good choice as it is an all in one tank. Just need to add a heater. There are other all in ones like JBJ, solana, etc. just look up nano tanks or all in one tanks. ONLY use saltwater from your lfs(local fish store) or get a reverse osmosis/ deionization(ro/di) unit to make your own at home. Never use tap. Get a master test kit to test your water. A good one too. Not the test strips. There is way too much to go on about. But I feel these are a couple of the musts for starting a saltwater tank. The heater for the tank is a must have. Just read and read and get information from different sources. Dont trust your Lfs unless you know them well. Not saying they are all no good, but they are there to make money and some just don't have the most knowledgeable staff. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another great alternitive to getting your own ro\di unit or buying water from your lfs is to go to the grocery store and buy the water in the jugs you can refill by yourself. It is ro water and after the initial 70 cents per gal you just take the jugs back in with you and refill them. That can keep the investment down a little since its only a 29 gal tank and you should only have to change 5 gal or so at a time. Only 2 bucks every 2 weeks. also again welcome to the forum
Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was doing that, but the pre made saltwater from my Lfs was the same cost as the jugs from the grocer, which I then had to buy salt for. Depends on what your circumstances are, but that is another alternative to consider.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome
The best advice is to go slow only bad things seems to happen fast in saltwater. Research everything for yourself ask the lfs and here but do your own research. If you asked 10 different people what they would put in a tank the size you are going to put up chances are you would get 10 different answers.

Two things that I wouldn't do without is a liquid test kit and a refractometer.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you I didn't know that. Why though?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thank you so much, great advice and I will get those things
Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

+1 on being patient. Don't rush anything it can only hurt the tank. Also test the water a lot. And while testing follow the directions word for word or you will get a bad reading

Tags
salt, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com