New to salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Ala

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I'm looking to get in to the world of salt water! I don't know a lot about it so Im really looking for a list of things to buy and some tips for a beginner. Thanks a lot

That all depends on what you want in your tank. Tank, filtration, powerheads, possibly a skimmer, liverock, live sand, lighting and livestock. We have to know what it is you want to do with your tank exactly? But welcome and enjoy!

I definitely want to have live rock and sand, whatever it takes to grow corals

I've got an empty 40g to work with, I should probably go buy a book for noobs and do some reading.

Ah, but what kind of corals? Softies, LPS, SPS? The primary determining factor there is lighting. Most recommend at least 1-2 lbs rock per gallon, so I'd aim for at least fifty pounds. A good way to cut costs is to get mostly dry base rock and add a few pieces of live rock to seed the system. Just take it slowly! Nothing good happens fast in this hobby! Melosu58 mentioned the articles, and there are some really great ones on this site.

Back
Top Bottom