Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2004, 08:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Steve,

I wasn't clear i suppose. I was listing choices of stocking options. Option 1) Coral Beauty & Perc Clown; Option 2) Perc Clown & Six Line ; Option 3) 2xPerc Clowns & Option4) 1 Sharp Nose Puffer.
Sorry for the confusion.

If you did understand my options correctly, I want to say that I have kept these setups personally & guided a number of hobbyists thru these combinations with great success. I agree that almost any deviation from the list above or any additional mixing and matching could be a disaster, but the above lists certainly work and work well long term. Tried & tested & successful many times.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:52 PM   #12
steve-s

You where very clear, I understood just fine

In a 12 gal tank though, I did then and do now disagree with those choices despite your claim to success. The only fish I would recommend from that list for a tank that small would be either a single clown (pairs better in a 20+) or the sole sixline. None of the others would be very resposible choices IMO.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-29-2004, 09:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I must say that I agree 100% with Steve. A 12 gal. is a bit small for a coral beauty or puffer to thrive in. Two small fish, three at max and that is it. Limit the list to percs, gobys, grammas or chromis.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:59 PM   #14
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Larger is easier ! More room for water chemistry mistakes. I run a 10 for my daughter and a 30 for myself. I did not start the 10 gallon untill I mastered the 30. The 30 is much easier to maintainas well.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:09 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm afraid we can only agree that Perc Clowns are a good option! I definately would not keep Goby's or Grammas because of dietary restrictions, and Chromis tend to have a hard time surviving unless in very large groups, probably stress related.

One thing about this hobby that makes it so challenging for the newcomer is that you will often find many experienced aquarists whom have all had different experiences with the same situation! I think this is probably do to the source of the fish being collected and sold & the quality of the distributor & LFS. We all know a Regal Angel is not a *Regal* Angel unless from the Red Sea...

There you have it! A 10 gallon tank with a live sand bed, live rock, a large protein skimmer, daily evaporation replacement, weekly water changes, weekly Nitrate tests, and 1 Perc Clown!
Old 11-30-2004, 09:34 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Alright Kenyon. Sounds like the verdict is in.

One fish, maybe a couple of snails and hermits, and a shrimp.

Still gonna do the 10g?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new to salt water, salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com