Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New to salt water.....

A petstore in West Palm has a complte salt water set up for 150.00. It is a 12 gallon. Includes all you need to set it up but fish. I was thing o getting it to start out to make sure I could do this ok

What do you all think?
thanks

Old 11-28-2004, 01:29 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Probably not a good idea. I don't want to discourage you from trying SW of course, it's just that these "kits" rarely have the needed equipment and are more geared towards separating you from your money than setting up a sucessful tank. Small SW tanks are a bit more difficult to keep because of the small volume of water...things can go wrong much more quickly. I would look at, if space and money is an issue, at least a 20 long tank...bigger is better. You'll also want to decide what kind of tank you would like to set up...fish only (FO), fish only with live rock (FOWLR), or a reef. I'd suggest the FOWLR for starters as you'll have a bit more leeway with water parameters and lighting. I'd also suggest reading the articles on this site that pertain to SW tanks. Pick up a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" either online or at your favorite bookstore. This will give you a good breakdown of the different types of tanks and how to set them up. We can help with setting the tank up and can advise you on what equipment to buy and what equipment to stay away from. It's not a cheap hobby to get into, but if done properly, the results are worth every penny. Welcome to AA.com!

Old 11-28-2004, 02:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I second that..... SW is AWESOME... but if you're new it's better to start with a larger tank.... it keeps the tank more stable.... I have a 55 and I've already realized that if it was larger things would be a little easier.... though I'm doing great with the 55 ....
Old 11-28-2004, 02:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Agree with both above. A larger tank is more forgiving.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to XxTitleisTxX
Larger is easier... but if you can't afford it, make sure the kit comes with a heater, hydromer, water conditioner and a good filter. Also you may need to purchase more as you come to realise it can become difficult. You'll need to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH most of all. And if you are planning on keeping any sort of coral, i doubt that the provided lighting would be sufficient. In the end your better off going with a larger tank.

Another point is that you shouldn't expect to house much more than maybe a few shrimp and maybe a fish. Saltwater fish require almost twice as much swimming space. HTH

Jarrod.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to XxTitleisTxX
Welcome to Aquarium advice.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I love small marine aquariums! I have kept several 5 gallon and 10 gallon aquariums over the years, and definately would encourage you to try SW!

With a 10 gallon, I would not buy a kit, instead put together your own. If money is not an issue, then live sand, live rock, and a small protein skimmer would be the perfect setup.

If money is an issue, then use a Penguin BioWheel filter, with crushed coral as substrate. You would treat this setup like a FW tank, doing a weekly 2 gallon water change. You will need to replace evaporation almost every day to keep the salt level constant. Monitor Nitrates prior to every water change. If Nitrates exceed 40ppm then do a 5 gallon water change. Hopefully this will only occur a couple of time per year.

Foolproff fish options:
1 Coral Beauty Angel & 1 Perc Clown (Nemo)
1 Perc Clown & 1 Six Line Wrasse
2 Perc Clowns.
1 Sharp Nose Puffer.

I suggest that you choose only 1 option and do not mix and match. These are the easiest SW fish to keep in my opinion and would make a great small setup. Fish to avoid in 10 gallon tank: Manderine Goby, Damsels, Chromis, Blenny's.

Good luck!
Old 11-29-2004, 09:10 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

If you set it up, I'll bet you're gonna want a larger one inside of 2 months.

Welcome to AA!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:00 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome To AA!! I would not recommend starting with a 12 gal. tank, although it could certainly be done. It would just take more dedication and the tank would have less room for error then a larger one. IF funds and space are and issue, by all means go for it. Just know what you are getting into. I look at it as more of a growth issue. In a 12 gal. you can only get two or three small fish. You will quickly want something larger. I would say start with a 38 gal. or a 55 gal. Best of luck in whatever you decide and remember to keep asking questions here. Lando
Old 11-29-2004, 08:21 PM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLehr
Foolproff fish options:
1 Coral Beauty Angel & 1 Perc Clown (Nemo)
1 Perc Clown & 1 Six Line Wrasse
2 Perc Clowns.
1 Sharp Nose Puffer.
While you may have personally had some success with the above list, I would not suggest anyone stock a 12 gal tank as mentioned here. At best you would be looking at one hardy fish depending on adult size/swimming needs. Any Centropyge angel, toby puffer or combination of fish would be extremely unwise.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
new to salt water, salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com