Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergie View Post
Because waste and other contaminants can get lodged between the balls, creating "Nitrate Factories".
Wouldn't regular maintenance take care of that?

Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you mean cleaning the bio balls? If you do it defeats the purpose of having them because you'll be cleaning off the benificial bacteria off of them also.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergie View Post
Do you mean cleaning the bio balls? If you do it defeats the purpose of having them because you'll be cleaning off the benificial bacteria off of them also.
Not cleaning them, just doing what you would do with the filter media, rinse a small portion of it at a time in some salt water (only doing this after 6 months after cycling and then monthly after that). At least those are the directions I've read. My LFS uses a wet/dry filter on their maroon clown breeding tank and have had the best luck for over 10 years! Also it can be lower maintenance than having a fuge with algae (some people are trimming back the algae daily).

This is just the way that I chose...and I've done plenty of research. Thank you for your input!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.a.r.i.s.s.a View Post
I guess I just needed someone to tell me what I already knew...just in case there were to be any issues later. Is there a good, quick-drying silicone that anyone would suggest?
Not so sure about quick drying, but you can use GE #1 silicone. Make sure to get the version without mold & mildew protectors. Just about any hardware place will have some. If you go this route, make sure to wait a day to allow it to cure.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
Not so sure about quick drying, but you can use GE #1 silicone. Make sure to get the version without mold & mildew protectors. Just about any hardware place will have some. If you go this route, make sure to wait a day to allow it to cure.
Thanks Rick.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup. Looking forward how things turnout. Just a side-note from personal experience, if there's ever a small problem with the tank, it will only get worse over time. Glad you're fixing that small leak!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

After doing a lot more forum reading and chating...I signed up for the group buy and I'm thinking about getting:
BRS “Reef Saver” Eco Dry Aquarium Live Rock

Hydor Koralia Evolution 550

Question: Would 50 pounds of base rock be too much for my 75 gallons? I have 12 pounds of live rock right now. I plan on having at least a 2" sand bed.

Question 2: Would 2 of those pumps be enough?

I have read that people have used two that size before with good results! I just want to get some more reassurance.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

50lbs of base should be fine. Since it's dry, it will be a lot more when wet. I bought 100lbs of pukani from BRS in the past. I almost got the reef saver rock though. I just wish their rock wasn't so pricey though.

If you're looking for more flow, I'd suggest 2 of the 750's. Maybe someone else can chime in for a tank your size?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont think that would be to much flow at all, I use a 425 korilia, 750 korilia in my 25gallon tank and the flow is fantastic imo, nothing settles and there are lots of different currents I can choose from to place different corals.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post
I dont think that would be to much flow at all, I use a 425 korilia, 750 korilia in my 25gallon tank and the flow is fantastic imo, nothing settles and there are lots of different currents I can choose from to place different corals.
Nice. Then yeah, i'd say upgrade to the larger PHs.

Tags
75g, new to salt water, salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com