Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I agree with upgrading the powerheads. two 750's should be good. I'm using a 1400 and a 950 aqueon in my 4 foot 90g tank now and its perfect flow.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Two 750's it is! Just gotta wait for the paycheck to hit the bank! So excited.

I've also changed my mind on clown/anemone idea...I'm the type of person who likes different things, so I'll probably just keep it at a FOWLR. I'll be asking about fish a little bit later once I'm close to getting my tank cycled (I have a few ideas).

Old 01-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, I just read about my wattage for my lighting. I get about 3 1/2 watts per gallon. What type of coral/marine plants could I not have?

I just want to see how limiting my lighting system is.

I have a standard 48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 21 size 75 gallon tank.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Actually, watts per gallon isnt the best way to look at things.

You have a 4 bulb fixture correct? What type of lamps do you have and do you know the name of the fixture, if it has individual reflectors thats a huge plus. It can make a huge difference in what you can keep.

You can also keep higher light demanding corals closer to the top like i do with my SPS. Seems to work just fine.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have:
http://coralifeproducts.com/Files/Pr...ualight-ss.pdf

The 48" total of 4 bulbs (2 10,000k CF and 2 Actinic CF) plus the lunar LEDs.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ahh ok. Not a bad fixture. I think you'll have issues with SPS and some other hard corals, but if placed right you might be able to swing some. You're good to go in my opinion on the softies like zooas and leathers and LPS like torches and hammers. Since you only have 4 bulbs and an 18" width just take care when placing them.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have to retro fit the top of my aquarium for the lighting to fit with the cover though... Other than that, I am happy with it.

Plus...I may just end up going FOWLR because I really like some fish that don't get along with corals...it's still up in the air! I've seen some people get around those issues before.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's all really up to you. Some folks have had success with non-reef safe fish in a reef tank, but there's no certainty.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, I have a question...I've got my live rock...it has sigificate die-off and it seems to be taking extra long for the nitrite to nitrate conversion. My assumption is that there is so much die-off, that the conversion isn't catching up yet because of that...btw my Ammonia levels are just under .5.

I'm also stalling, I think, because my PH is 7.6. Would it help the cycling to raise my PH by using power heads? (again, this is what I think the problem is, but not 100% sure)
Old 01-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.a.r.i.s.s.a View Post
Ok, I have a question...I've got my live rock...it has sigificate die-off and it seems to be taking extra long for the nitrite to nitrate conversion. My assumption is that there is so much die-off, that the conversion isn't catching up yet because of that...btw my Ammonia levels are just under .5.

I'm also stalling, I think, because my PH is 7.6. Would it help the cycling to raise my PH by using power heads? (again, this is what I think the problem is, but not 100% sure)
How long have you been cycling? It's not uncommon for the process to take 1-2 months. What have your nitrite ratings been through the cycle?

Considering you still have ammonia in your tank, your cycle doesn't seem to be stalling....there is conversion. If there was no ammonia, and your nitrites were not converting to nitrates in a sensible amount of time, then i'd be worried.

What kind of circulation do you have in your tank now? Ideally you should be cycling with PHs in your tank to create good flow. The pH is secondary.

Tags
75g, new to salt water, salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com