new to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdurm55

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm buying a 14 gallon biocube tomorrow and just need some advice how to start it. I have ton of experience with freshwater. I know some people make mods to the chambers and if I could get some advice on filtration too. Also what chemicals and stuff to start cycling. This is my first post here so hopefully I can get some good help :) :)

It all depends on what it is you're looking to get running there. Are you doing fish only? Do you want to have corals? What kind of lighting does the biocube have on it?

There's a lot of variables...your standard saltwater fish only system as opposed to a FOWLR (fish only with live rock), as opposed to a full blown reef...

I'm probably gonna start with a live rock one and work my way to reef since I'm new to saltwater.

if you want to seed your bacteria colony dr. tims one and only has excellent reviews, as well as giving you some ammonia to dose with. or you could just buy some base rock add a shrimp and wait for your cycle to take off.

carey has modified her cube so if she doesnt chime in soon send her a pm.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me Carey, welcome to the addiction. I mean that both for marine aquaria an for aa.

What do you mean? At the link I posted it has an upgraded media rack that you can use instead of the stock bio balls. I run purigen, chemipure elite and filter floss in my biocube with the added media tray.

if you don't go with a media tray then you can use live rock instead of the bioballs and just use the stock filter cartridges. :)

OK I think I'm gonna put live rock in there instead of the balls. So I will see how that works. :)

What about fish should I start with something like clown fish?

Back
Top Bottom