Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What do you mean by cycle? I am completely new to this I learned fast that freshwater and saltwater are not the same and what about salinity level what should I be at

Old 11-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would aim for 1.025 for salinity. Cycling your tank makes it safe to put fish in, here are 2 articles on it.

Ammonia conversion to nitrate

Cycle your salt tank

Old 11-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nice fish line up. But focus on lots of live rock and sand first then the 200 u spend on rock will take the place of a 250 canister all day. Plus with live rock you get tons of hitchhikers for free.. Water movement is key = powerheads, and a good protein skimmer. I would add a few more snails and hermits also
Old 11-28-2011, 01:25 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnt90
Nice fish line up. But focus on lots of live rock and sand first then the 200 u spend on rock will take the place of a 250 canister all day. Plus with live rock you get tons of hitchhikers for free.. Water movement is key = powerheads, and a good protein skimmer. I would add a few more snails and hermits also
You don't need lots of live rock and it's a waste of money. A few pounds with base rock is enough to get the tank cycled. There are also bad hitch hikers such as fire worms, aptasia, majono anemones, and more. Its also really expensive and harder to aquascape with because it doesn't have as many nooks and holes as base. Also when people say live rock is a filter, they mean chemically as in it gets rid of ammonia and nitrite. You still need a filter to get rid of other things and debris that your CUC doesn't clean.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:52 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah go the cheap rock way its your choice in the end and not a horrible idea. I cure all of my lr first before hand then use that as the filter you don't have to wait years for it to look like Anything more than a pile of bleached white rock that has 0 filtration value to me thats a waste of money. But it is an option not everyone can spend a ton on a tank. But then they should have goldfish lol
Old 11-28-2011, 02:29 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Yeah go the cheap rock way its your choice in the end and not a horrible idea. I cure all of my lr first before hand then use that as the filter you don't have to wait years for it to look like Anything more than a pile of bleached white rock that has 0 filtration value to me thats a waste of money. But it is an option not everyone can spend a ton on a tank. But then they should have goldfish lol
Actually, with only a couple pounds of live rock, the base rock will look exactly like the live rock within a month or two. And there are many cheaper ways to do a sw tank, without just shelling out the money for premium products. I have actually heard of people making their own rock, when they have 100+ gallon tanks to save money. Just as affective.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Actually, with only a couple pounds of live rock, the base rock will look exactly like the live rock within a month or two. And there are many cheaper ways to do a sw tank, without just shelling out the money for premium products. I have actually heard of people making their own rock, when they have 100+ gallon tanks to save money. Just as affective.
Wow even a better idea make your own. and it will take no more than a month to look like live rock if u use base? That's a good fact. ill write that down. Oh and with that method using base and some liverock you can't get aptasia or fireworms right? That's good info thanks for sharing.

This guy is 100% the man

Sorry for not knowing it all like he does I was only trying to help you. You had said you wanted to her into the obsession with us and the replies to you were get a book and then get a test kit, both great advise . I thought I would tell you as much info as I could share and get the ball rolling for you.

Now that you have a better marine biologists in gboy66 I think he can take it from here.

Good luck from here
Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are doing a reef tank you can still get aptasia and bristle worms when you put in coral. Even dipping the coral doesn't kill the aptasia and depending what you dip it in the bristle worms survive too.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

Wow even a better idea make your own. and it will take no more than a month to look like live rock if u use base? That's a good fact. ill write that down. Oh and with that method using base and some liverock you can't get aptasia or fireworms right? That's good info thanks for sharing.

This guy is 100% the man

Sorry for not knowing it all like he does I was only trying to help you. You had said you wanted to her into the obsession with us and the replies to you were get a book and then get a test kit, both great advise . I thought I would tell you as much info as I could share and get the ball rolling for you.

Now that you have a better marine biologists in gboy66 I think he can take it from here.

Good luck from here
Just trying to help. I dont see the problem in that? You mentioned a way, and so did it. Neither are wrong, and both will work. Jeez
Old 11-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13
If you are doing a reef tank you can still get aptasia and bristle worms when you put in coral. Even dipping the coral doesn't kill the aptasia and depending what you dip it in the bristle worms survive too.
Its easy to spot on a frag or coral though there are many holes and what not that contain bristle worms on live rock.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« lighting ? | help! »