Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Those are some beautiful pictures, The tube thing to me looks like a featherdusters tube, and the 6th picture looks like diatoms on smooth encrusted part of your live rock

Old 02-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Are either of those bad things. I have a larger tube just like the one in the rock coming up in the corner of the tank out of the substrate. I am hoping it's ok because I love finding new life in my tank and it would be a shame to have to remove any of it.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It shouldnt be a problem, they are both common , Diatoms usually go away on there own. And the tube with the feather duster is a hitchhiker that probably came along with your rock and will help keep your tank clean
Old 02-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #14

Sweet thank you very much for explaining that.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No problem, that why we are here
Old 02-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #16

Thanks every one! It's all quite exciting I just want to make sure I do things right with what I got. Is it normal for my live rock to start turning colors? There is some green, orange, red, pink, and some blue. The colors appear to be spreading a little bit each day.

As for the 2 worm things they have both went back into where they came out. Will they come back?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

The colors may be coraline which is a type of plating algae which you do want and the featherdusters are a nice addition to any tank if that's what they are..they will filter your water for particulate matter so theyre always nice to have. And a side note though I do believe you need a lot more live/lace rock in there. How much do you currently have and what is your idea for a finshed tank? Reef tank or a fowlr
Old 02-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #18

Well I am still in the process of setting it up. The more I learn the more my idea on the ideal set up changes. I currently only have 3 live rocks in there, not quite sure on the poundage of it to be honest. I originally wanted 2 clown fish and perhaps a couple of crabs. I currently have 1 crab and am now thinking about filling it with more live rock. I am really enjoying watching the rocks grow life and progress. I have been to numerous pet shops and fish stores and have seen many different smaller set ups. Some with fish and some without. So I don't really know what I want to do now.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well you really should try and get all the rock you want in before you move on to anything else because that is your main form of filtration
Old 02-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #20

Sounds good, about how much more would you put in that size tank?

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com