Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Live rock does help a lot. Currently my tank is one year old. Recently have bout 50 feather duster just grow itself on my sandbed and rocks. I didn't have any

Old 10-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePolyp

Some fish aren't safe to keep in reefs because they will eat your corals. You can get live rock from your local fish store. Most carry a couple of different kinds. It gets expensive. At my store, the live rock costs 6 dollars a pound. I put 120 pounds in and then added my sand and water and let it cycle. You might also consider buying a dead shrimp and putting it in your tank while cycling. It will speed up the process.
Ok cool thanks for the explanation then I will not go for the non-reef friendly fish. And I will definitely consider that. And wow that must get expensive but I definitely think it will be worth it!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Hurley

Ok cool thanks for the explanation then I will not go for the non-reef friendly fish. And I will definitely consider that. And wow that must get expensive but I definitely think it will be worth it!
They are expensive to start, but once you get cycled and ready to start adding fish and coral, it isn't too bad. It's still fairly expensive to buy the fish and corals, but you won't buy them all at once. I have been adding about 1 coral a month. I can't add any more fish until I get that damsel out because he kills everything I put in there with him.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Try not to get any damsel when recycling. They too aggressive towards your coral and fish later on. You can try have base rock and half live rock to save some cash. Eventually all become live rock
Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef lover
Live rock does help a lot. Currently my tank is one year old. Recently have bout 50 feather duster just grow itself on my sandbed and rocks. I didn't have any
The live rock will also provide the tank with some filter feeders that help keep the tank maintained. Be cautious though. They have bad stuff in them too. I had an aiptasia outbreak a couple months after cycling and had to buy some peppermint shrimp to keep it under control.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Where you located ? Later on if you around where I live I can frag some of my coral mushroom and other for you to test it out
Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Try not to get any damsel when recycling. They too aggressive towards your coral and fish later on. You can try have base rock and half live rock to save some cash. Eventually all become live rock
My damsel is a demon. He's killed 2 goby's and 8 shrimp. Here is what I'm doing now to try and catch him.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2113849613.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	124088
Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Where you located ? Later on if you around where I live I can frag some of my coral mushroom and other for you to test it out
I live in central Oklahoma.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePolyp

They are expensive to start, but once you get cycled and ready to start adding fish and coral, it isn't too bad. It's still fairly expensive to buy the fish and corals, but you won't buy them all at once. I have been adding about 1 coral a month. I can't add any more fish until I get that damsel out because he kills everything I put in there with him.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, if I'm cycling for 5-6 weeks then ill have plenty of time to buy scenery and such. I definitely want to get some live moving coral. Like the bubble coral and some mushroom coral as well as some torch.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Base rock?

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com