Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New to Saltwater

Hi! I've had a freshwater tank for awhile now and I'm going to be upgrading to a 75 gallon aquarium soon. I was going to make this a freshwater but I want it to look amazing so, since you can't get many AMAZING looking Fish in freshwater I'm going to try for saltwater.

I have a few general questions though. How much more do I have to do to maintain the tank. Also how do water changes go about? i was going to do an aquascape in my freshwater but i want to do some cool like plants that move and such. lif you have ber seen the tv shiw tanked.maintain
I'm

Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Like if you have ever seen the tv show tanked. Sorry for the typos I'm on an iPhone and I couldn't see what I was typing.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I basically want to make a really nice scenic tank with real plants and some really nice vibrant fish. I already have the fish that I have seen, now I'm going to go through and see what would go good with what. But anyways yeah so water changes and cycling are my main questions.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

It took me 6 weeks to cycle my 75g reef before I put anything in. In reef I suggest patience is the key to success. The show tanked is a great show I love it too but lot things they did is not that accurate
Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I let my 90 gallon cycle for 4 weeks before adding anything. I have had it up for 6 months now and currently have only 5 corals and a couple fish, along with several cleanup crew creatures. I highly recommend live rock. The live rock will help with water quality and also add a lot of much needed bacteria to your tank that is essential for a healthy livestock. I do a 15-20 gallon water change every week. Maintenance wise, there is a lot more work involved with saltwater. Having live rock will also help with this maintenance. I have 120 pounds of live rock for 90 gallons of tank space. I'm figuring only 75 actual gallons of water. I was told 2 pounds of live rock per gallon of water is recommended to keep water filtering to a key. You'll also want to make sure you have plenty of water movement and proper lighting. I have a total of about 2000 gallons per hour of movement in my tank. You can never really have too much, but you can have too little. Just make sure you don't point the power heads directly at a soft coral or a coral that likes low flow. I have one of mine pointing behind my live rock and the other point straight forward into the glass. This helps create the three types of currents that corals and reef fish thrive on.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

And live rock will make a better looking tank. If you are looking for good looking tank, it's essential. I'll attach a photo of mine from month 3.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2534986861.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	124085

I've added some stuff and moved a couple of things around since then, but I currently have a minnow trap set up in my tank to catch a demon damsel so I can't take an updated photo.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love that show tanked. That is what got me interested in fishing in general and also my tanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePolyp
And live rock will make a better looking tank. If you are looking for good looking tank, it's essential. I'll attach a photo of mine from month 3.

I've added some stuff and moved a couple of things around since then, but I currently have a minnow trap set up in my tank to catch a demon damsel so I can't take an updated photo.
Wow thanks so much for the help. Yes I will definitely be using live rock, but where can I get that? A quick side question also. I was looking at fish and some say they are reef compatible and others say no, what does this mean exactly?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyP
I love that show tanked. That is what got me interested in fishing in general and also my tanks.
Basically the same lol
Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Hurley

Wow thanks so much for the help. Yes I will definitely be using live rock, but where can I get that? A quick side question also. I was looking at fish and some say they are reef compatible and others say no, what does this mean exactly?
Some fish aren't safe to keep in reefs because they will eat your corals. You can get live rock from your local fish store. Most carry a couple of different kinds. It gets expensive. At my store, the live rock costs 6 dollars a pound. I put 120 pounds in and then added my sand and water and let it cycle. You might also consider buying a dead shrimp and putting it in your tank while cycling. It will speed up the process.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com