NEW TO SALTWATER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sandblas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
my children always want me to buy some clown fish wich they know as nemo anyway i have 10g 30g 55g f/w tank about 3days ago i change my mine and clean the 55g tank out and went to LFS brought some 100 pound of Ocean salt , tetra test kit, books, instan ocean hydrometer,sand
i still don't understan what i need next salt water is 1.023
iam looking for some proten skimmer and i dont know wich one is good one. i dont want to spen too much money :roll: i was looking at
reaclone 100 $101.00
for the filter i have Bio power 330 i have two of them

I would suggest buying a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner before you go any further. This is really the only book you need starting out. I would not recommend the Seaclone skimmer. I'd go with an Aqua C Remora. Although it'll cost you a bit more, it is a much higher quality unit and will work much better with less chance for a spill. What kind of sand/gravel did you put in the 55? Do you intend to have live rock in there in the future?

loganj said:
I would suggest buying a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner before you go any further. This is really the only book you need starting out. I would not recommend the Seaclone skimmer. I'd go with an Aqua C Remora. Although it'll cost you a bit more, it is a much higher quality unit and will work much better with less chance for a spill. What kind of sand/gravel did you put in the 55? Do you intend to have live rock in there in the future?
for the skimmer cpr bakpak2 skimmer W/pump or
cpr bakpak 2r skimmer w/pump reef ready how about this?
for the book the saltwater aquarium by barron's
marine reef auarium handbook by dr robert j. goldstein by barron's
would this book works? i brought them when i was getting salt,tetra test kit, hydrometer. also 65x2 10k daylight and 10k aetinics dual bulbs
is it this work for my tank?

My experience is the with the Auqa C and it has been a great skimmer. The CPR is also a good one, just requires a little more maintenance. Depending on what you are planning on putting in the tank you really will not need a skimmer for at least a month or two so you would be better off saving and getting a better one.

As far as the books go, there are many great books in regards to SW aquariums. All of them will have some of the same info, and some different. Fenner is just kinda the guru for SW aquarist. All of the info is in one book, and is known to be true. As far as the lighting goes, it all depends what you want to do with your tank. If you just intend to put a few "nemos" in, those lights will work fine. If you think you will want some corals or anemones down the road you will prob have to rethink your lighting.

I would read up about cycling of the tank also. Getting the salt right is only a small part of the equation. You need to keep testing your tank to see when it has finished cycling. There are many different methods for cycling tanks, use which ever one you prefer. But, to avoid problems down the road I would prob slow down and do a little reading to save yourself alot of expense in the future.

Any book is better than no book. I have not seen the book you have so I cant speek as to how it stacks up aganst the fenner book.

I also think the remora c would be a good skimmer for that size tank.

At this point how do you wish to decorate the tank? My personal prefernce would be to have about 60lbs of live rock in your tank. What kind of sand and how deep is it in the tank?

YOu mentioned you didnt want to spend alot. If you dont mind me asking what is your total budget for this tank?

fishfreek said:
Any book is better than no book. I have not seen the book you have so I cant speek as to how it stacks up aganst the fenner book.

I also think the remora c would be a good skimmer for that size tank.

At this point how do you wish to decorate the tank? My personal prefernce would be to have about 60lbs of live rock in your tank. What kind of sand and how deep is it in the tank?

YOu mentioned you didnt want to spend alot. If you dont mind me asking what is your total budget for this tank?
some one is selling metal halide lights 175w mh pendant
would this works for my tank i want my tank soon to be reef
oh for the sand bed it's crush coral

For a 55 gal tank two MH bulbs about 1' in from either side would be ideal. A single MH will cause a nasty shadow effect since most 55's have a center brace and to have as close to even light as possible you would put the bulb over the center brace.

Other lighting options include VHO and power compact. Lighting is by far the most expensive part of a reef tank.

fishfreek said:
For a 55 gal tank two MH bulbs about 1' in from either side would be ideal. A single MH will cause a nasty shadow effect since most 55's have a center brace and to have as close to even light as possible you would put the bulb over the center brace.

Other lighting options include VHO and power compact. Lighting is by far the most expensive part of a reef tank.

i also find power compact light 4x65 he/she want 120.00+shipping but he/she dont have bulbs what you think?

Toss the cc, it's a nitrate magnet. Need some southdown or old castle "tropical play sand" But if you want cc then I got a 6 gal bucket full of it cleaned and dried. All you gotta do is come and get it. or pay shipping.

justmy2cents said:
Toss the cc, it's a nitrate magnet. Need some southdown or old castle "tropical play sand" But if you want cc then I got a 6 gal bucket full of it cleaned and dried. All you gotta do is come and get it. or pay shipping.
were you at and shipping? how much? how far from atl ga

I'm halfway between chattanooga and knoxville. I'll have to see how much it weighs. Give me your zip code.

According to Mapquest, this is what your looking at.

Total Est. Time: 2 hours, 59 minutes Total Est. Distance: 174.66 miles

I live right in the middle of both of you. :)

revhtree said:
According to Mapquest, this is what your looking at.

Total Est. Time: 2 hours, 59 minutes Total Est. Distance: 174.66 miles

I live right in the middle of both of you. :)
WOW 3 hours i pass thanks
unless you have some like light or proten skimmer for sale :lol:

Back
Top Bottom