Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks guys, I will go get some more live rock today after work.
I'll be back on later to update, I think I'll do the shrimp thing too.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you, if your fish could thank you they would.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I like my tanks to be a little more open and that end up being around 1 pound of rock per gallon of display. some people go as high a 2 per gallon and some go lower.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok guy's, I need some more help, I have been driving 2 hours to get my live rock and this just isnt going to work with my work life so.... I'm not buying it from my true lfs because every thing they have in there looks like tank problems just waiting to happen so where do you buy online? I looked at some florida live rock that says comes with all kinds of life but will my tank support that life right now? It dos'nt do any good to pay 10$ a pound for rock with coral and plant life growing on it if it dies the same week or day you put it in your tank does it? please help looking for right thing to do................also had a little golden colored growth around the edges of the tank on the sand when I came home today, also had like tiny air pockets forming under the sand against the glass, what is this?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would say that the golden growth would be diatoms, they are normal and should disappear in a few weeks.

The air pockets sound like nitrogen bubbles, it means that the bacteria is doing its job.

Your tank is not good for life until it cycles, also the shipping can have its toll on the live rock, so anything on the rock may or may not survive.

The rock that looks like problems waiting to happen very well could be. Hitchhikers can be good or bad depending on what they are.

You can find deals online for live rock, the downfall is you don't get to pick your pieces. You could try to find some dry reef safe rock it will take a little longer to cycle but is alot cheaper. Also it doesn't have any hitchhikers good or bad. You may be able to find it at your lfs, Although that won't save you the drive.

I have not purchased live rock online so I can't really recommend any site in particular.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

The drive is to a reputable store my local is less than what i would call reputable.....
Old 01-27-2011, 12:51 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I personally have not bought rock online, but I would suggest going with a mix of base rock and live rock. You could buy a small amount of live rock either from the LFS that's a bit far away or online and use it to seed the base rock. This is how I started my tank. I've heard good things about MarcoRocks.com and reefcleaners.org for buying base rock.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

+ 1

Tags
28g, nano, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com