Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New to saltwater 28g nano cf need advice

Hello to all, I'm here to learn. I bought a 28g nano cf quad a week and a half ago. I mixed my r/o water and salt, added 40lbs live sand,15lbs live rock,and a bateria additive. Running on stealth heater (marine land). I got frustated with the filtration of the nano after the adding of the live sand so when to lfs and bought a marine land 350 magnum filter/polisher on sale for 99$ now we are crystal clear. bought a master test kit and every thing looks good. Tested salt daily stable. Looking for advice of where to go from here(kinda at a stand still). I know I would like to have two clowns and as many corals as I can keep with the cf lighting(may upgrade to hqi later but when have money for chiller as well).I welcome snails and such butdont know what kind of bio load i can put on this tank. I would be greatful for any help and advice given....

Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #2

Most of the Bacterial additives that are added to any aquarium needs to be added with fish. The bottled bacteria will slowly die off within 2-3 days because of the lack of food (ammonia).

Also, by adding the Live rock, the tank would cycle faster even without the Bacterial additive. The flow going throw the live rock acts as an filter, collecting beneficial bacteria, and making the cycle faster.

As far as the rest, wait for more input

Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
IMO you need to cycle your system. You can start your cycle 2 ways, 1. toss in a raw shrimp for 2 or 3 weeks and watch the ammonia peak. after that your nitrites and nitrates will rise and fall. Then you can fish 1 or 2 at a time. Old school is use hardy live fish like damsel's. The live fish will have to go through a extremely tough time and you will loose a few.

You state you used "live" sand if it was in a bag or a bottle "live" is questionable. Also is you are going to use live rock now is the time or you will have another cycle when you add it.

If you do a search on this site you should find a better explanation on how to cycle a system.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have !5 lbsof live rock in there now do I need more? The live sand I bought was wet in the bag. Two 20lb bags. Thanks guys I'll wait to here more
Old 01-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

With my tank i put 3 damsels in there and tested water everyday. Then about 2 weeks later everything was fine so i went crazy on it.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

15 lbs of live rock.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was going to buy two damsels this weekend but second guessed it and waited hence I'm now here. Just didnt want to move to fast I hear that is the biggest mistake people make.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

or not acclimating the fish or inverts, i had two hermit crabs die out of 3 that i bought, a few days after i put them in. water peramiters were 8.1 ph nitrite and ammonia at close to 0 and nitrate was at 10ppm SG was at 1.025 so i would guess they died of shock because all i did was sit the bag in the tank for 30 minutes and then put them in
Old 01-26-2011, 02:30 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Welcome to AA!

Read this Cycle your salt tank for info on how to cycle your tank. Avoid unnecessarily subjecting fish to a cruel cycle as the ammonia can burn and kill them.

You could do with slightly more live rock and it will be easier to add it now than when your tank is established. Generally you want to aim for around 1lb/gallon but you can get away with less. You can opt to add base rock if you are looking to save on costs. Your equipment and stocking plan (2 clowns) looks OK to me.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:39 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by atte
Welcome to AA!

Read this Cycle your salt tank for info on how to cycle your tank. Avoid unnecessarily subjecting fish to a cruel cycle as the ammonia can burn and kill them.

You could do with slightly more live rock and it will be easier to add it now than when your tank is established. Generally you want to aim for around 1lb/gallon but you can get away with less. You can opt to add base rock if you are looking to save on costs. Your equipment and stocking plan (2 clowns) looks OK to me.
+ 1

Absolutely look at the fishless cycling link. I would aim for 1# per gallon at the very least.

Tags
28g, nano, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com