Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2004, 01:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Rsquared333 Send a message via MSN to Rsquared333 Send a message via Yahoo to Rsquared333
New to saltwater

I have been a freshwater hobbists for years but now want to try my hand at saltwater. I have seen so many amazing saltwater tanks, and I would love to have one of my own. Here's what I 'm thinking. Please fill in the blanks and comment, there are several things such as protein skimmers and uv sterilizers and refugiums (would i need one?) that I am not accustom to in the freshwater field.

Tank: 46 gal bowfront

Filter: Rena filstar XP3

Heater:2 150watt or 1 250 watt tronic or ehiem jager

Lighting: not sure of the demands of coral I use about 2.5 watts per gal for plants

Protien Skimmer: don't know about them. looking for quality that is resonably priced but I value quality over price

UV Sterilizer: don't know about them. same as protien skimmer

Substrate: live sand and live rock

This will be a reef tank housing inverts and small fish and lots of corals and anemones. I have seen the new nano tanks and I love the fish they have for them so I am going for a large-scale nano tank look (oxymoron).

Old 12-16-2004, 02:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

the first thing I would suggest is for you to go out and buy the a good book on SW tanks. I really like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Fenner. Its a good place to start. Sounds like you are going to eventually have a reef tank so you have some direction. Nest decide on what type of filtration you are going to use. LS, 75-90lbs of LR with a good skimmer should be great filtration. Check out the articles sections on this site for great info on how to get started. Good luck...Lando

Old 12-17-2004, 01:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would look into getting a couple PH
Old 12-17-2004, 01:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

you will probably want more watts per gallon for lighting, and if you are going to spend the money on a lighting system, you might as well buy the right one the first time around. What are you interests for the tank, you will probably need 4-5+ per gallon. The aquac remora protein skimmer is very well liked on the forum, and i love mine with the mag 3, does a wonderful job, are you planning on having a sump??
Old 12-17-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Rsquared333 Send a message via MSN to Rsquared333 Send a message via Yahoo to Rsquared333
will i need a sump? It seems I would, if i do i will make one, I have found some good plans online but any other anyone knows of would help. would i need a refugium? i am planning to have mostly coral and anemones and such with inverts and small fish. but I want a lavish coral/anemone "garden" (to reflect my love of aquarium plant gardens but a saltwater version). so would 4-5 watts per gal be ok I was thinking coral life or trition bulbs.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

any reccomendations on protein skimmers, light bulbs, or other equipment. any comments, questions , or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Phoenix neighbor! I second that with Lando. Bob Fenner's book is awesome. A sump is handy for storing equipment, and adding more volume to the water. You can even build in a refugium. Anemones mostly require some intense lighting. If you are going this route, I would spring for MH. There are usually 2 protein skimmers that most people use here: Aqua remora, and Bakpak 2. Definitely want good flow 10x gph, so I would recommend a couple of Maxijet 1200's. Sand and LR is the best way to go IMO. HTH

Mike
Old 12-17-2004, 04:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

All i can add to the responses to help is to A. visit this site regularly B. read, read, read everything you can get your hands on about this hobby and C. go slow -- your future fish and your wallet would greatly appreciate it.
Lawnmower Blenny -(Lenny), Talbot's Damsel -(Dottie), Tomato Clown -(Ketchup)
Nameless fish include, Neon Blenny, Singapore Shrimp Goby, Yellow Tail Damsel, 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimps, purple pseudochromis.
gfishguy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 04:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's nice to see a fellow Arizonan. Thanks for the info. Those have been the two skimmers that seem to be the most recommended. any major differences between the two?
Old 12-17-2004, 04:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

would the XP3 be fine for this tank? no one has commented on it and I wasn't sure if that was because it is ok.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com