Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #131
Aquarium Advice Addict

carey said she was using the taam rio hyper flow return pump. carey or anyone else how do you like it. you mentioned that you where concerned with quality? also i think that for lack of any reason im going to go with the nwb-150 for my skimmer. and if no one can give me a reason not to use the hyper flow pump im going to get the 17hf model. also if anyone is interested i found someone that said they use google scetch up is a fairly easy little program to use. im using it to figure out how to fit everything in my living room and refugium. hope every one is having a wonderful day

Old 07-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #132
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

For the two months or so that its been running I havent had any issues with the hyperflow. I also use a smaller taam for my water changes, works great.

I'm only comparing pumps like the mag drives when I talk about quality, the mags come really highly regarded but are also very expensive.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #133
Aquarium Advice Addict

is some of this stuff just a crap shoot? at some point its like ford to chevy to dodge... they all get the job done. some are priced higher than others, and there is always someone thats had great luck and one with really bad luck. is that about right? if that is the case who is to say that the taam isnt just as good as the mags? i mean its got at least 2 positive reviews from you right?

i suppose a pump for water changes would be handy to have too. oh and i was thinking about a low water level shut off switch for the pumps and then read somewhere that they make them... pricey little thing though, anyone ever run across any wallet friendly switches?
Old 07-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #134
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

When you look at it like that, I agree. You could get a mercedes and theres someone somewhere complaining about it. LOL I think the Taam will get the job done and how i figured it, even if it did fail, I could still buy another one for the price of one mag drive. In looking online people seem to like the pumps, I don't believe there was anything mentioned that was a concern for me personally.

Not sure what you mean by shut off, you mean have a float valve in your return section and if it drops then the return pump shuts off? I've seen controllers that do that, theres an ATO controller that I believe has that feature.

JBJ ATO Automatic Top Off System Water Level Controller - AquaCave

Cheapest I've seen one for btw, but I'm not just ready for my ato system yet so I'm still in the research stage on controllers and the such.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #135
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah its just a little float switch. you plug your power cord(s) for your return pump/skimmer into it and if water level gets too low(evaporation or leak or some four legged pet desiding to drink it dry or knocks something loose) the switch cuts power to what ever is plugged into it. no real controller other than what level you set it at.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #136
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ultralife Float Switch, 10 Amp Rated Reversible Reed Float Switch - AquaCave

heres that float switch
Old 07-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #137
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ah i get it. Haven't run across that item in my journeys. It's even simpler than a controller. But yeah, that is pricey protection for a pump that costs less than the switch. LOL
Old 07-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #138
Aquarium Advice Addict

ha yeah... i know 12/24 volt dc and can make cool little trinkets with it, but 110 ac im lost. all i know is the white wire goes to the silver screw of the outlet and that may have changed.

oh well maybe ill walk around the hardware stores here and see if i can find some 110 relays.

anyway at least im getting my list written down now. ha thats leaps and bounds further than i was at the start of this thread. and for me, the refugium im thinking of i needed footprints of the pump and skimmer so i could plan baffles. but!!! it should be big enough to carry over when we get a larger aquarium to replace this pending 55 set up.

i still have to buy every thing.

lol at this rate i can say i have a fowlr tank in about a year. hopefully. or at least a 55 with rock.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #139
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It'll all come together faster than you can imagine. atleast this way you will have a good solid foundation of knowledge to help you in any future tank adventures
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:55 AM   #140
Aquarium Advice Addict

here is another one for a bit less...

Blue Line Pump Saver - AquaCave

i like solid foundations. having one lets you tweak the rest. this is true... im just impatient most times.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, salt, saltwater, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com