new to saltwater 55 gallon set up questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey carey. What system would be best, berlin, wet/dry, or refugium on my flowlr 55, can u recomend brands and what i may need?

Flow rate sugestions?

Refugiums are absolutely the best nowadays IMO. Wet/dry filters will become nitrate factories because of the food building up. In a refugium, the uneaten food is consumed by Copepods, amphipods, and whatever else you want to keep in your refugium.

Hey carey. What system would be best, berlin, wet/dry, or refugium on my flowlr 55, can u recomend brands and what i may need?

Flow rate sugestions?

Alot depends on your future plans in my opinion. If you are def gonna stay FOWLR my pick would be berlin or wetdry. If you see yourself one day keeping corals and/or creatures that feed on pods, I would vote refugium all the way.

From what i've read and researched I think about 600gph would be a good place to start as far as overflow. The return pump should be rated for a bit more than that to account for the head loss ( the sitance the water has to travel from the pump to outlet).

ie: I have a 1200 gph dual overflow. I have a 1500 gph rated return pump with a ball valve installed that I picked up at home depot. I can tone back the pump if need be quite easily. :)

hope that was a bit helpful. I'm certainly no sump expert but I do have the stuff I've read still in my mind. lol

Ok the stuff ive read has turned my mind into a pile of mush.

U know that one day it will be more than a fowlr. So refugium should be the way i go. For lack of understanding of everything i think it would be smartest to keep my diy on the back burner. So now back to the original questions. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good cheap refugium and skimmer? I think i can pay the 119 for tge overfliw from lifereef. Seems like what ive read it a good overflow box. In terms of my lack of proficiency on this will suit me best.

Nonononononono definitely do the refugium yourself. All you basically need are some acrylic or glass baffles, and fish tank, and silicone. I made mine without any prior knowledge to this kind of stuff. Altogether, it cost me about $40. I used a 20 g long.

i personally wouldnt skimp out on the skimmer...just my opinion though

***edit*** rubbermaid containers;)

Ok.... Pictures and mesurements. What skimmer should i buy? I do like the thought of it. I dont think i have the space for a 20 long under my stand. Maybe a 20 tall. Inside measurement of my stand is something like 11 inches plus or minus. I have a 20 now that i was originally thinking about using but its too wide at 12.5 inches

mmmmmmmmmrubbermaidmmmmmmmmm....they are easy to drain and tear down if you need to fix/change/alter

If a 20L won't fit under there most sumps premade won't either. A space spacing style of wet dry is available but it has no refugium. :-(

What are the exact measurements of the available space?

yes i have a pvc pipe connecting my 2 bins.
267472_2170505428366_1418647088_2503532_7964803_n.jpg

I don't get it LOL. Where is does your water go into? which tub and which tub has the return pump? I see you have a refugium tub but how does that work out?

the tub on the right has my refugium and sprinkler, the tub on the right has my skimmer amd return pump...thats how it came setup from the previous owner

Which tub does the water come into? Is there a filter sock? How does the flow go through the refugium and then bakc to the left side tub? Is there a pump in that right side tub that sends the water back to the left side tub?

Sorry, I'm kinda dense, just trying to see what options are out there adn how they work. I'm working on another build and might need to make a sump. :)

Back
Top Bottom