Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think a 20L would make an excellent sump if you can make it fit.

Enough room for everything you'd need

Old 07-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't alter the stand, unless you made it yourself because it can cause the stand to spread the weight unevenly or might make it not strong enough to hold the weight.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im sure i can make the stand more than sound and level. So what are the dimentions of my 3 chambers? Still need a skimmer and pump. What have you all used with reliable success? Over flow rated for 600 gph. 4 feet of lift. And what kinds of matterials should i put in the refugium? Is a dsb like a pleneum? Raise the bed off the bottem of the tank about four to 6 inches of sand and then my how much live rock and macro algea lighted buy what light? Ive just about have this planed out thanks to you guys. Just needing the final details so i can start making and collecting all the parts.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I keep about 6 lbs or so of LR and a 3-4 inch sandbed with macro algae in my refugium. A shop light from home depot with a squiggly tube bulb for plants is all you need for light unless you wanna get fancy.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'd probably need about a 900gph pump or more. You also need to install ball valves in the return pipes so that you can adjust how much goes up. I'll attach a pic of my setup when I get a chance. It'll give you an idea of what to do.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
A 900gph pump at 4ft head will still be somewhere close to 800, now hes paying for a lot of pump hes not using, and the elec for a pump hes severely restricting.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Newbie

If you throttle back a pump, it shouldn't use as much energy because it isn't running at full tilt. And carey, if you look at the second pic I posted, you'll see the 3" pvc tubing that carries the water from the refugium on the right, to the middle bin which houses the skimmed and pump. The pvc pipe has a sponge filter on the refugium side to catch debris..its def not perfect but it works for now. Once I get a more solid grasp, imma alter it
Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Whoops accidentally posted under my girls name.... the statement from peapufferzilla is actually me
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can also put in a T joint and take some of the water and put it going back into the refugium again.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

squiggly tube bulb? those screw in florescent energy saver bulbs? you said for plants. is that going to be a common wattage? slitherbomb im looking forward to those pictures and instructions. carey thank you for your input. very valuable information. no kidding i was lost earlier today. but all of you have really helped.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, salt, saltwater, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com