Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ihad a hard time finding a return pump that was gonna be enough flow. I went with the 1500 gph cause I figured they'd be some pressure loss and I throttle it back anyways. I am looking to get a smaller pump though, I end up throttling back the flow too much sometimes and it seems a waste.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think im back to making my sump again. After all of everyones input and re reading articles and re watching videos i understand alot more. So for that, thank you all.

And because i know it will eventually have reef in it, i am going to get a protien skimmer. At least that way i can build the refugium to be used with one. I know my wording sounds off but it makes sence in my head. Plus im hoping a 20 gallon long refugium will also support a larger display tank.

And as a update to my post for easy reference... I am turning my 55 gallon into a fowlr tank that will probably down the road turn into a reef with fish tank. I will be making my own refugium. Hopefully i have enough of a grasp of the principles of it to set my baffles up correctly. I am buying the overflow box rated at 600 gph carey recomended. I have not looked at the pump she suggested yet. I will purchace a skimmer so i can have my refugium set up for the one i need for later down the road. Suggestions on brand and model would be helpfull. Then if i havent missed anything i will just need time to collect it all and put it together.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you get the overflow that is continuous then you will need the aqualifter pump sold in the "deluxe" package. Heres the link again CPR CS90 SIPHON AQUARIUM OVERFLOW BOX by CPR Aquatic - AquaCave

You can get a cheaper overflow but then to start siphon in the tubes you have to suck the air out yourself. The one linked above has no tubes like a typical overflow. Just wanna make sure you understand.

Also, I would recommend you look and price out return pumps, I just showed you what I have and use. Might be able to find a better deal on something comparable.

AS far as skimmers, octopus makes a ton of options and are highly regarded. Just get as much skimmer as space and money will let you. Overskimming isnt really an issue, you want all that you can get in the space that you have.

Here is the link to some, it also tells you the footprint of the skimmer so you can be sure it fits.

Reef Octopus DNWB Recirculating Pin Wheel Protein Skimmers
Reef Octopus NWB Needle Wheel Protein Skimmers
Old 07-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

Again i cant thank you enough carey. After listening and resurching i like that style of overflow you recomended. And yes i was going to do the delux option for the vacuum pump. The skimmers i was looking at last night where all rated for 100-125 gallon aquariums. octopus. Marineland and vertek?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and i like that you have shown me what you use. It gives me an idea of what can work and direction vs guessing at names that ive never heard of before
Old 07-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Not sure about the marineland, I think they are cheap for a reason. lol I havent looked into the vertek either. :-(

Youre in the right neighborhood with skimmers rated at 100-125g, that will def do the job. You'll proably get the most recommendations for the octopus. Me, I couldnt quite swing the extra money so I went with an eshopps. Is working out for me so far, just having some trouble lately adjusting it after a huge water change I did.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'd stay away from current IMO. Unless they have upgraded their adjustment knobs, I've been adjusting mine a couple times everyday and still haven't got it dialed in. Its always constantly overowing or underflowing..... Again just my experience
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

Current? Brand name?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah that's the brand name, they make some good products for other marine equipment, just not their skimmers.... I'm constantly adjusting it
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah. Ok thank you! Those octopus skimmers are pricey. But. If they are as good as people say they are, i suppose its wurth it. I know ive spent money on my freshwater tanks that could have stayed in my pocket but i am glad i splurged that bit of extra for the functionality.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, salt, saltwater, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com