new to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannyp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello i have had freshwater tanks for about ten or so years. Have always kept chiclids for their beutiful colors, As you all know most of the colorful fish are also the most aggresive. So i have decided to take the plunge into a sw tank. I have read some things about them and have decided to start a reef tank. I have a 55 gal tank, Really leaning towards a sand bottom, like i said dont know much about the percs of the diff types. Also some realitivly cheap coarl to buy to get things up and running.

WELCOME TO AA!!

and SW side!

I'll tell you my experience. I started my tank with CC and some sand. The CC ended up on the top and got dirty and nasty looking. So I took out the CC and went with sand. I think it looks a lot better. It won't hold as much funk as CC (well you could vacuum the CC) and will also limit you on your clean up crew and possibly some neat sand sifting critters, like stars and sand sifting fish. The other possibility is bare bottom. I like to go for the natural look.

As for coral, you will have to get advice from the "reefers". I am a FOWLR person, myself.

Oh yeah, please don't cycle your tank with livestock.....

roka64 said:
Oh yeah, please don't cycle your tank with livestock.....
(y)

55 gallon is a good starting size. Sand bottom is prefered. After you cycle you`ll have to wait a little bit for your corals. They need a stable setting. IMO start with fish and 6 months later you should be OK for some good starter corals. I want to see some pics.

oh of course i will need all the help i can get so will take lots of pics along the way. what would be a few good starter fish to start with? I know i want a couple clowns, not for sure their real name but Dorie off little nemo. My wife and son have picked a few from there. lol..... Would i have to wait with a animmini for the clowns? As for cycleing the tank it takes what about 9 -14 days to cycle?

The duration of your cycle depends on alot of factors. Some cycles take as short as 1 week, some take over a month. The only way to find out if your tank is done cycling is testing the water for NH3, NO2 and NO3

I doubt that you will be able to keep a Blue Hippo Tang (Dorie) in that 55G as it will outgrow the tank. Research before you buy anything.

Yes you will have to wait for the tank to stablilize for a few months (at least 2 or 3 months) to get an anemone.

As for starter fish, clowns are great starter fish. They are very hardy.

BTW. Welcome to AA :)

Yes you will have to wait for the tank to stablilize for a few months (at least 2 or 3 months) to get an anemone.

Some even recommend 6-12 months for a tank to become fully mature.

You can get a test kit like this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4452&N=2004+113074

You cycle should start with a spike in ammonia, then nitrites, and finally nitates. Once the all of these level out to 0, your cycle should be complete/safe to add critters.

After you cycle you`ll have to wait a little bit for your corals

I am going to take this advice with my tank. I was at the LFS today and there was a guy buying an anenome. He told me his tank was 3 days old! I went and told the manager because I think it has no shot at survival and is abuse. The manager told me "it is ok, he used LS so he will not have a cycle??

Welcome to AA and dont listen to LFS without researhing!

The manager told me "it is ok, he used LS so he will not have a cycle??

Not a snowball's chance in boiling SW! It will die and foul up that new tank, something fierce and there is no telling what the poor sap already bought from that LFS, that will perish along with the anen. You should have invited that customer to join AA.

and dont listen to LFS without researhing!

Sound advice there!

just another question what type of filtration should i get to keep my system running smooth? whats the pros to cons over a back of tank and canister?

Live Rock and skimmer is all that is needed. You dont need a ny mechanical filtration.

You should have invited that customer to join AA.

For the record, I did. He was one of those no it alls. Didn't want any help. S/W for 3 days but new it all!! Amazing

Maybe you could invite his highness to share his secrets! I would LOVE to know how all of it works in three days!

*wink*

lol to speak of three days thats what my lfs told me. They said they had it down to a science...lol But after reading things on this site i think they just wanted a sale....lol

Code:
they just wanted a sale....lol[quote]

Yep, they have to pay their bills, sometimes at our expense!!!

research

research is key
the lfs will say anything to sell sometimes
you need to find a store that u can trust
my friends will buy blindly by what looks best at the store wasting $ and time
due to space concerns eventually there is only so much you can buy for your tank unless u buy a bigger tank :wink: 8O :evil:

Back
Top Bottom