New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I want to start a fish only aquarium. I already have a 30 gal. tank with live sand in it and one of those filters that have a protein skimmer in them. It's been running for 4 days now (I was told at the pet shop it helps to acclimate the water). My question is if there is something I should know about before introducing the fish? Also, can a clownfish live in a synthetic coral? or do I HAVE to buy an anemone just for them? Any info you guys can give will be appreciated. Thanks

Before being able to add livestock, you have to establish the <<Nitrogen Cycle>>. This is established by <<"Cycling">> a tank for the first time. This may take up to 6 weeks or more, but with the addition of livesand it may be shortened. Can you define what kind of livesand it is? (bagged, made by LFS, etc) I would also suggest adding liverock as well to enhance the biological filtration and appearance fo the tank for both you and your livestock.

As far as the clowns, they do not really need to "live" in anything, at least not in aquariums. They form the relationship with anemone's in the wild, but there it is to hide from predators that are absent in home aquariums with the proper husbandry. Whether or not they take to anything you had to locate themselves on or near is up to them....some freely seek out a host while other just hang out by a cave.

If you are looking to specifically setup a tank for clowns, I would highly recommend the book: Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson.

Thanks for responding so quickly!! Yes, my livesand is from my local pet shop and it is bagged, the brand is Arag-Alive from CaribSea Inc.
I will buy some live rock today. Thanks again!!

Diana

Do you know the model or brand of your filter 'with the sump built in'. Is it a skilter?

Yes is a Skilter 250, it says on the box "Aerating Power filter & protein skimmer all- in -one." why? I hope I bought the right thing. Thanks

They kind of have a bad rap for not being overly efficent with their skimming abilities.

I'll keep my eye on it, thanks for the heads-up. If it doesn't work their company will be hearing about it. Diana

Oh the skilter will function. Just wont function as efficent as a dedicated skimmer. I belive ther eis a way to add an extra airstone to the skimmer portion that ends up boosting its efficency but since I have never owned a skilter I cant tell ya how to go about doing this modifiction.

you could add some nitromax and then you wouldnt have to worry about cycling your tank. but i'd do it the right way and cycle it with the shrimp if i could start over

Back
Top Bottom