Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2003, 01:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New to saltwater

Hello, I want to start a fish only aquarium. I already have a 30 gal. tank with live sand in it and one of those filters that have a protein skimmer in them. It's been running for 4 days now (I was told at the pet shop it helps to acclimate the water). My question is if there is something I should know about before introducing the fish? Also, can a clownfish live in a synthetic coral? or do I HAVE to buy an anemone just for them? Any info you guys can give will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-01-2003, 03:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Before being able to add livestock, you have to establish the <<Nitrogen Cycle>>. This is established by <<"Cycling">> a tank for the first time. This may take up to 6 weeks or more, but with the addition of livesand it may be shortened. Can you define what kind of livesand it is? (bagged, made by LFS, etc) I would also suggest adding liverock as well to enhance the biological filtration and appearance fo the tank for both you and your livestock.

As far as the clowns, they do not really need to "live" in anything, at least not in aquariums. They form the relationship with anemone's in the wild, but there it is to hide from predators that are absent in home aquariums with the proper husbandry. Whether or not they take to anything you had to locate themselves on or near is up to them....some freely seek out a host while other just hang out by a cave.

If you are looking to specifically setup a tank for clowns, I would highly recommend the book: Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson.

Old 10-01-2003, 03:47 PM   #3

Thanks for responding so quickly!! Yes, my livesand is from my local pet shop and it is bagged, the brand is Arag-Alive from CaribSea Inc.
I will buy some live rock today. Thanks again!!

Diana
Old 10-01-2003, 04:33 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Do you know the model or brand of your filter 'with the sump built in'. Is it a skilter?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 04:45 PM   #5

Yes is a Skilter 250, it says on the box "Aerating Power filter & protein skimmer all- in -one." why? I hope I bought the right thing. Thanks
Old 10-01-2003, 04:49 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
They kind of have a bad rap for not being overly efficent with their skimming abilities.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:00 PM   #7

I'll keep my eye on it, thanks for the heads-up. If it doesn't work their company will be hearing about it. Diana
Old 10-01-2003, 08:16 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Oh the skilter will function. Just wont function as efficent as a dedicated skimmer. I belive ther eis a way to add an extra airstone to the skimmer portion that ends up boosting its efficency but since I have never owned a skilter I cant tell ya how to go about doing this modifiction.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:24 PM   #9

oooh, I'll check about that extra airstone, thanks!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2003, 10:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

www.wetwebmedia.com

Type in a search for "skilter" and it should give you a ton of info on how to do the modification.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com