New to Saltwater 92 Gallon Corner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrotherlySlinky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I am just now getting into saltwater tanks. I have operated a 100 gallon Cichlid tank for 2 years and it has gotten boring. I would like to get into saltwater tanks but I am having a lot of difficulty getting started. I have a 92 gallon corner tank and I want to make it into a saltwater. I purchased 40 lbs of live sand and a bucket of saltwater mix. I have a 300 watt heater and I am researching powerheads, skimmers, and sumps. For a 92 gallon corner, what do you recommend I get next? Thanks

Sounds like you're on the right path. Is the tank drilled? If not you'll need an hob overflow as well if you go with a sump. Focus on the sump first. Then get a skimmer rated at minimum the total water volume of tank and sump if not double. Then look at return pumps and overflows. The overflow needs to be rated at more gph than the pump after headloss or you will need a ball valve between the pump and display tank to throttle it down. Do you plan on having corals? If so you will want to get enough total gph in the display to be 30x-45x water volume of the display tank. That's where the powerheads come in.

Check out Melevs reef. com lots of good info on sumps/ fuge builds with very easy to understand info. You will love it and never get bored with it!

I think I'm going to go with a HOT skimmer. Which skimmer would you recommend? I've also decided to run a hob overflow to a 29 sump because of the awkward tank shape. I have 2 powerheads which run about 3200 gph. How many pounds of live rock do you recommend?

IMO go with a sump and in sump skimmer or external skimmer and not the hob skimmer. Eventually you may get tired of seeing the equipment in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom