New to saltwater advice (pics inside)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If aiming for reef I'd add another 20-40 lbs of base or lr, ditch the circular sponge which will always keep your no3 up, get the equipment mentioned already, get better salt like Reef Crystals or Tropic Marin which are better formulated for reef tanks.

I'd return the damsels as well personally.

Do you know if you want medium or high light corals?

is the CC the base? and what is the circular sponge?

I think to start, the medium light corals look great. I think i will need a new lighting system b/c one of the light fixtures in the tank (which i found out is about 7yrs old) is broken and sometimes turns off. Any recommendations for the lighting?

Forgot about your CC. I'd also remove that and replace with 80 lbs of aragonite sand. It's a pain but the CC will just trap waste and you will always fight the nitrate battle.

Base rock is just like lr but doesn't have any life. For base rock checkout Marco's base rock.

Base rock is usually dry rock, that will become live. The circular sponge is the round black thing you have, in your pics.
I agree, ditch the CC, it is a pain to clean, I had it and didn't like it. There are some folks that love it...not me.
I have these Lights http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12772&N=2004+113175 and love them. What is the length of your tank?
You can get the aragonite sand at the same site. I would go for medium grain size, the smaller tends to blow all over the place and the larger can inhibit your sand stirrers/sifters.
Just an FYI, the bold words will take you to the links of the products tec and I are talking about.....I just learned how to do it, thanks to tec!!!

great thanks!

I was looking online for more info and don't see a lot of fish in these type of reef tanks, can you not have fish in a tank like this?

tank13.jpg

Sure, you can put fish in there, just make sure they don't nip corals. I find liveaquaria.com and fantasyreef.com to be very helpful sites, to find info about critters.

It's the thing in the blue box....I think it is some sort of DYI filter, not a living sponge. The sponge will become a nitrAte factory, if not rinsed in ols SW on a regulat basis.

roka64 said:
It's the thing in the blue box....I think it is some sort of DYI filter, not a living sponge. The sponge will become a nitrAte factory, if not rinsed in ols SW on a regulat basis.
lol, man that is the funniest thing all day! :oops: If i get rid of that what should I use?

You could probably remove it and replace it with some LR rubble. If you get 1.5-2 Lbs of rock per gallon, you can skip the filter.

Ok so I got back from the pet store and they said that everything they tested was high, and I needed to do a 35-40% water change. I will be doing that tomorrow. is there a step by step guide here?

and also The live rock at the top has started growing green hair...is this normal or should I do something else with it?

DSCN1671.jpg

DSCN1673.jpg

That hair algae will get out of control if you don't get your phosphates/nitrAtes down, by doing a PWC.
This is how I premix my water, (you should let it aerate for at least 24 hours).
Friday-add salt/water/heater/ph
Saturday-test salinity and adjust, if needed
Sunday-remove old walter, clean filter and other equipment and add new SW

thanks for the tip! is there anything that I can do to get rid of the algae that is there or will it go away with the water change?

Mel likes to use a toothbrush strapped to the end of the siphon, Hara likes to pull it out manually. Really it is an indication of excess nutrience in the water. I would do PWCs, maybe about twic a week and see where that gets you. Have you tested your source water?

how would i test the source water? I got it from the tap and its been sitting outside for a week. I haven't put any water in the tank other than what i took out

this is what i have in my chopping cart so far, have I missed anything else I need?

Item # Description Price Qty Subtotal
CD-907026 Master Liquid Test Kit Saltwater $13.69 x = $13.69
CD-967104 Special Grade Reef Sand 40 lbs $31.99 x = $31.99
CD-14035 Portable Refractometer 0-100 ppt salinity and 1.000-1.070 specific gravity $41.99 x = $41.99
CD-18715 Stealth Heater 250W $17.69 x = $17.69
Subtotal = $105.36

Your source water can be tested with your Master Liquid Test Kit Saltwater, I would check for ammonia and nitrAtes. You might want to get a phosphate test kit and check your source water with that as well. NitrAtes and phosphates will fuel hair algae. That list looks good.

Ok this is what I ordered! :) thank for the help guys, im sure I'll be back when it gets here!

Item # Description Price Qty Subtotal
CD-604047 Titanium Probe Grounding Probe $13.59 x = $13.59
CD-907026 Master Liquid Test Kit Saltwater $13.69 x = $13.69
CD-967104 Special Grade Reef Sand 40 lbs $31.99 x = $31.99
CD-14035 Portable Refractometer 0-100 ppt salinity and 1.000-1.070 specific gravity $41.99 x = $41.99
CD-18715 Stealth Heater 250W $17.69 x = $17.69
CD-27184 Phosphate Test Kit 150 Tests $5.99 x = $5.99

Subtotal = $124.94

Nice catch on the Titanium Probe Grounding Probe!

lol I actually just placed it and caught the power head too! There is an $8 off coupon that I found online as well if anyone is buying something!!

ITEM DETAILS FOR THIS ORDER:
1) CD-604047 Titanium Probe Grounding Probe

Quantity: 1
Price: $13.59
Total: $13.59
- - - - - - - - - -

2) CD-907026 Master Liquid Test Kit Saltwater

Price: $13.69
Total: $13.69
- - - - - - - - - -

3) CD-517514 Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump Model 600 (160 gph)

Price: $11.99
Total: $11.99
- - - - - - - - - -

4) CD-967104 Special Grade Reef Sand 40 lbs

Price: $31.99
Total: $31.99
- - - - - - - - - -

5) CD-14035 Portable Refractometer 0-100 ppt salinity and1.000-1.070
specific gravity

Price: $41.99
Total: $41.99
- - - - - - - - - -

6) CD-18715 Stealth Heater 250W

Price: $17.69
Total: $17.69
- - - - - - - - - -

7) CD-27184 Phosphate Test Kit 150 Tests

Price: $5.99
Total: $5.99

----------------------------------------------------------------

SUBTOTAL: $ 136.93

SHIPPING TYPE: Standard (Within 7 Business Days)
SHIPPING AMOUNT: $ 12.99
Coupons:
$8 off $50+ order: $ 8.00

ORDER TOTAL: $ 141.92

Back
Top Bottom