Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2006, 10:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
My fish look pale when the lights come on but I`m thinking something might be wrong because of the deaths. The star dying could be the result of high nitrates. Maybe some PWC`s will help out till you get your test kit. Hope all goes well
sorry, the brittle star, tang and clown fish all stayed in my dads tank the only thing that died in my tank so far is the one damsel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
I would get rid of the damsels, as they can becom VERY agressive, as they get older and may harass new fish. I also prefer to drip acclimate my fish, before adding them to my QT.
How long should I leave them in there to make sure the water is ok?

Old 12-19-2006, 11:01 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Are you cycling with live animals? Your best bet is to get the test kit and find out what your parameters are....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:15 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Are you cycling with live animals? Your best bet is to get the test kit and find out what your parameters are....
I guess I'm not sure what cycling is? I left the tank empty for a week with all the water and filters going? I thought it would be ok to get starter fish b/c the guy at the pet store told me thats how to start?? I guess I should have found this forum a week sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
Do you live with your dad or is he close?
He lives about an 45min away

also does anyone know what that tube does in the picture below does, I can't see it making bubbles when I hook it up?

Old 12-19-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
No clue. What is the other end hooked up to? Bubbles are fairly useless in SW tanks. Your powerhead and output from the pump give the tank oxygen. 45 minutes is still reasonably close Mine is an 8+ hour plane trip away. He should be able to help if you get stuck with some of the mechanical things of this hobby.

Without knowing your water's parameters it's hard to know if your tank is cycled which just means it's got a good bacterial base to deal with ammonia. (see this link for more info)

I'd take a water sample to the local fish store (uncovered) and have them test for ph/nh3/no2/no3 since it's going to take a while to get your test kit in.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
No clue. What is the other end hooked up to? Bubbles are fairly useless in SW tanks. Your powerhead and output from the pump give the tank oxygen.
Its hooked up to an air pump. how does the powerhead provide oxygen? It doesn't seem to cause any bubbles? and what pump are you referring to? I am not sure if I have one? (proves how novice I am!)

Quote:
I'd take a water sample to the local fish store (uncovered) and have them test for ph/nh3/no2/no3 since it's going to take a while to get your test kit in.
I will try to do this today! Should I also order some salt from www.drsfostersmith.com?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:04 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

O2 is related to your pH. The way to keep a stable pH is from gas exchange, this is caused by good surface ripple. In SW, O2 bubbles do no good. the actual gas exchange happens at the surface of the water. FW is different (I think), but I'm not a "freshie" so I don't really know.
I buy all my dry goods from the drs, they don't charge extra for weight either. I would also recomend a Refractometer and a Titanium Probe

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 12-19-2006, 12:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the advice, I was looking at getting some salt mix for the tank and now realize that there are many different choices....anyone got any favorites?

I also just saw a bunch of pictures of reef aquariums! That would be awesome to have one of those...is it possible with this 40 gal, or will that need to be later when I have much more capital for a larger tank? And is there a place I can read about the difference between live rock and reef stuff?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
All oxygen exchange is done at the surface either with FW or SW but SW doesn't exchange oxygen as well as FW so more current is needed at the surface then what air bubbles can produce. I've always used power heads in my FW tank as well since I really don't like the looks of bubbles personally.

As Scott mentioned www.drsfostersmith.com doesn't charge extra for heavy items like salt buckets so it's probably much cheaper to buy salt there also then your lfs. I'd get the 160+ gal bucket so it will last you awhile.

Instant Ocean or Oceanic are fine for fowlr.

There isn't much of a difference between fowlr and reef tanks. Reef tanks need better filtration (quality skimmer) to keep no3 below 10 ppm and higher quality lighting since most corals are photosynthetic. Your 40 gal would be fine for reef.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
There isn't much of a difference between fowlr and reef tanks. Reef tanks need better filtration (quality skimmer) to keep no3 below 10 ppm and higher quality lighting since most corals are photosynthetic. Your 40 gal would be fine for reef.
Awesome, it looks like this is my new goal to setup a reef tank. any suggestions of all the stuff I need to buy from the Drs (besides the stuff mentioned)?

thanks again guys, this forum rocks!
Old 12-19-2006, 12:34 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

I just switched from Instant Ocean, to Reef Crystals. I had hair algae and cyano that kept popping up, so I am going to see if the RC gets rid of that problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vturbo
And is there a place I can read about the difference between live rock and reef stuff?
LR refers to the cured rock that hosts the nitrifying bacteria. Reef refers to living corals, that you purchase. FOWLR is a tank not dedicated to corals, but can have corals, as long as you pick corals and fish that are compatible.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
pics, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com