Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2007, 11:04 AM   #71
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I imagine if you add them all at the same time you might be ok. Unless you are putting them all on the 40, that might make for some cramped quaters. You could probably put the yellow tail in the larger tank (mine tend to be less agressive than my other ones).

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Regular

the way it is now there are four of the blue damsels and a yellow tang in the 95 gallon and the smaller domino and blue (with yellow fin) damsel in the 40 gallon. I would like to move them all to the 95 gallon until I can get better water setup for the 40 gallon. (the hair alge is going crazy)

Old 01-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #73
AA Team Emeritus

New to saltwater advice (pics inside)

I imagine you might be able to get away with them all in the 95, just keep an eye on them for the first few days. The damsels in the 95 probably have their territories staked out.

+++EDIT+++
That flake food is notorious for phosphates. How often do you feed and is that all you are feeding?
On that 95G (the pic at the top of the page, right?), with that depth and cover, you might have pH problems. What is your pH?

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 01-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Regular

I feed them twice a day with the flake food, and once with frozen brine shrimp on the weekend. I haven't checked my dads tank yet, I will do that tonight. What should I be feeding?
Old 01-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #75
AA Team Emeritus

Variety is best. I would also cut back to feeding everyother day. I feed mine that way. I feed frozen soaked in garlic extreme, selcon and zoe. I throw in flakes every once and a while. Feeding twice a day is probablt one of the reason you have an algae bloom.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 01-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow never even thought of that! Do you get the food from a LFS or can I get it online?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:52 PM   #77
AA Team Emeritus

I actually pay the extra money at the LFS. I believe the frozen, bought online, may charge extra for shipping, but I could be wrong. You could also make your own, from fresh unseasoned seafood from your local grocery store. Get a variety and put it in a blender, freeze, thaw and soak in the products I previously stated. I soak my food at least 20 mins, but no more than 30 mins.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 01-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Regular

you can just use regular people food?! are there any other threads about what to feed the fish? how offen do you feed them that stuff?
Old 01-25-2007, 04:11 PM   #79
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, you can use raw unseasoned seafood. I haven't done it, but hopefully some one that has can tell you what they used. I believe Hara might do her own, or at least used to.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 01-25-2007, 04:11 PM   #80
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Hara has posted on here a few times her "Blender Mush Recipe". I'm sure she won't mind if I share it.

Quote:
* Bender Mush Recipe-by Hara
When making the blender mush, use the whole creature...unpeeled shrimp, ungutted fish, all the parts of the squid...everything. My mush is made of squid, cod, scallops, shrimp, crab, whatever is seafood and is on sale. I then add nori (seaweed) some garlic oil and zoe (vitamins). Blend it all up, put it in ziplock bags, lay it out flat so that the mush is very thin. Then when it is frozen, you can just break off pieces. Some flake food can be added to thicken the mush if it's to thin and Selcon can be used in place of Zoe. When feeding, remember a little goes a long way.
Edit: We posted at the same time Scott!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pics, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com