Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New to saltwater advice (pics inside)

Hi, My friend decided that saltwater took too much time and gave me his tank. He claims to have about $600.00 of live rock in the tank (no clue if its an exaggeration or not) but it is a 40 gallon tank with two damsels (one died in less than 7 hours) in it so far. The temperature is 75-76 degrees, SG is between 1.020-1.021, and the salinity is about 28ppt. I am not sure what other measures there are to use to see what condition the tank is in. I also am not familiar with what type of filter/power head is being used and I think I could use some new lighting. Any help or advice would be great!! Thanks in advance!

oh and also there is the air tube that goes in the filter part. I am not sure if the air must go down in that hole or what because when it is down there it doesn't seem to be making bubbles??

Old 12-18-2006, 11:41 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
WELCOME TO AA!!!

How old is the tank? LR is about $8-12.99 per Lbs....If I had to guess, you have about 20-maybe 30Lbs of LR in that tank. I would get a test kit and test your parameters.....Salinity si the amount of salt and the number should be around 1.020-1.024 maybe enve 1.025/6ish, but I think that is a little hig.
We need more specific info, like lighting, ps substrate (looks like CC), critters, water parameters and such...

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the welcome! About all I know is the Si is about 1.020-1.021, I have crushed coral in the bottom and I bought one "coral" light at Petco, the other light is just a regular bulb, I think. How would I measure the rest of the stuff? The only place that is close it the Petco. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:28 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Welcome to AA

You will need a test kit to measure the basics like ph/nh3/no2/no3. I'd buy the Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit from drsfostersmith.com considering Petco charges twice as much.

Hard to say if the lr is worth $600 but it looks like you have around 40+ lbs to me. If the tanks been running for 6+ months with the two fish in it then it's probably cycled already.

This media needs to be rinsed out in old SW at least once a month to keep waste from building up.

If keeping this FOWLR then the lighting you have is fine. You will need stronger lighting if you want to make this a reef tank.

Have you had FW tanks before?

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:53 AM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree that step No. 1 would be to get a water test kit and post your results. This will give us a good indication where your tank is at and will help us to make a wise decision. So if you can post these results. Welcome to AA

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Great! I will place that order today! Is there anything else I should get there since I will be getting that kit?

I haven't had my own fish tank for years, and never a salt water tank. My dad has had saltwater for as long as i can remember and he now has a 90 gallon tank that is AWESOME! 8O

The story of fish tank as far as I know is that my friend called up and said would you like a fish tank? I of course said yes! My dad and I came to pick up the tank and had to take all the water and put it in a bunch of buckets and took the tank to my house. with all the water out we sprayed the inside of the tank and dried it. We then set up the tank and put all the water, rocks, and CC in. We left the clown fish, tang, and brittle star (that were in the tank before) in my dads fish tank so that they wouldn't have to go through another move, the brittle star didn't make it, dying in my dads tank . I left the filter going, rocks, water, and CC in the tank for a week and then we went and bought 3 damsel fish. I let them get adjusted for about 30 min. and then opened the bag. The first damsel died within about 7 hours (my dad said he looked stressed) the other two have been in the tank for three days now, however the blue damsel seems to loose all of his color in the night b/c when I turn the lights on in the morning he is very sick/pail looking and he gains it back by the time I get home from work...is this normal or is it a sign of something wrong with the tank?
Old 12-19-2006, 10:16 AM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

My fish look pale when the lights come on but I`m thinking something might be wrong because of the deaths. The star dying could be the result of high nitrates. Maybe some PWC`s will help out till you get your test kit. Hope all goes well

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:18 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Do you live with your dad or is he close? His experience should help since you are new to SW. You should drip acclimate fish for at least an hour or two to give them enough time to adjust.

Fish loosing color at night is normal for most species.

There are plenty of other things you can buy like a Refractometer, a backup heater, skimmer, & another powerhead.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 12-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
The star dying could be the result of high nitrates.
The star was in the dad's 90 gal tank. Probably didn't acclimate it long enough, brittles need a long 3+ hour drip acclimation IMO.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 12-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would get rid of the damsels, as they can becom VERY agressive, as they get older and may harass new fish. I also prefer to drip acclimate my fish, before adding them to my QT.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pics, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com