Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New to Saltwater (and AA)

I started my 29 gal saltwater tank about week ago. I used crushed coral sand, dead rock, and some artificial plants to kind of get started. I let the tank run on its own for a few days, and i was told i could add a couple fish to help kick off the cycling of a new tank. so, i added one clown fish and a hermit crab. they seem to be doing fine, but now the tank is starting to show trace amount of ammonia and nitrites, which i understand it should as part of the new cycling process. so at this point im just a little concerned at what should be happening next. any advice would be awesome.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #2

Depending on how you wanna go about things and how your set up i would get some live rock in there ,take the fish and the crab back to the lfs and use a regular cocktail shrimp to start the cycle, that way nothing is being harmed during the cycle

Old 04-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You were given some very bad advice. Never put fish in the tank to start your cycle. Now the fish have to live through it. Read this article about the cycle and you`ll understand.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ank/Page1.html

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

^ Solid advice. You will be told by pretty much everyone to take the fish back and get at least a few pieces of live rock. If you get good cured rock it can speed up the cycle a lot.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with the above.

For good filtration (biological that is) you will wan 1.5-2lbs of rock per gallon or 44-58lbs of rock in your tank. As the others mentioned if put 10-15lbs of live rock in with your "dead" or base rock your cycle will be quicker.

If you choose not to return the fish you need to be doing PWCs to keep the ammonia levels down. This is going to prolong your cycle.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:41 PM   #6

Okay, now that i feel like a monster given archaic advice, the fish is in a safe place. i can aquire some cured live rock this weekend. what about using live sand as well? i have seen it and been kind of wondering about it.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The live rock is what you really want. I got mostly dry sand with a little oolite live sand. Live rock is actually going to be your filter. I have 75 lbs live rock in my system, skimmer, heaters, and a return pump. I also have a few power heads but that is necessary to move water in and out of your live rock(since it is the filter). Nothing else is really needed. It is called the Berlin Reef. That is the theory that started the live rock being the filter rather than the trickle filter or the bio balls in the sump. LR is where its at.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with using the LR. I used dry sand with my aquarium.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #9

The only LR available to me is partially cured. can i go ahead and add it to my cycling tank or should it be fully cured?
Old 04-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
Thanx but no.....

fully cured if you don't want to further stress the fish. If you remove the fish, the partially cured rock will fuel your cycle

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com