New to Saltwater (and AA)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stuktothewall

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started my 29 gal saltwater tank about week ago. I used crushed coral sand, dead rock, and some artificial plants to kind of get started. I let the tank run on its own for a few days, and i was told i could add a couple fish to help kick off the cycling of a new tank. so, i added one clown fish and a hermit crab. they seem to be doing fine, but now the tank is starting to show trace amount of ammonia and nitrites, which i understand it should as part of the new cycling process. so at this point im just a little concerned at what should be happening next. any advice would be awesome.

Depending on how you wanna go about things and how your set up i would get some live rock in there ,take the fish and the crab back to the lfs and use a regular cocktail shrimp to start the cycle, that way nothing is being harmed during the cycle

^ Solid advice. You will be told by pretty much everyone to take the fish back and get at least a few pieces of live rock. If you get good cured rock it can speed up the cycle a lot.

I agree with the above.

For good filtration (biological that is) you will wan 1.5-2lbs of rock per gallon or 44-58lbs of rock in your tank. As the others mentioned if put 10-15lbs of live rock in with your "dead" or base rock your cycle will be quicker.

If you choose not to return the fish you need to be doing PWCs to keep the ammonia levels down. This is going to prolong your cycle.

Okay, now that i feel like a monster given archaic advice, the fish is in a safe place. i can aquire some cured live rock this weekend. what about using live sand as well? i have seen it and been kind of wondering about it.

The live rock is what you really want. I got mostly dry sand with a little oolite live sand. Live rock is actually going to be your filter. I have 75 lbs live rock in my system, skimmer, heaters, and a return pump. I also have a few power heads but that is necessary to move water in and out of your live rock(since it is the filter). Nothing else is really needed. It is called the Berlin Reef. That is the theory that started the live rock being the filter rather than the trickle filter or the bio balls in the sump. LR is where its at.

I agree with using the LR. I used dry sand with my aquarium.

fully cured if you don't want to further stress the fish. If you remove the fish, the partially cured rock will fuel your cycle

so i have added about 13 lbs LR to my tank along with 16 lbs LS. i'm already showing trace ammount of ammonia and nitrites. how long until the tank is cycled and what should i expect to see/look for?

so i have added about 13 lbs LR to my tank along with 16 lbs LS. i'm already showing trace ammount of ammonia and nitrites. how long until the tank is cycled and what should i expect to see/look for?

The article I posted earlier will tell you what to look for.

Back
Top Bottom