New to saltwater and will be setting up 75, stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Franzwa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody I have been keeping fresh water for awhile and wanted to make the transition over to salt and was wondering what some good stocking for a small predator tank, my only available tank is my 75 and wanted some good recommendations. The one thing that for sure has to be there is a dwarf lionfish.

Thanks in advance!!

Hello everybody I have been keeping fresh water for awhile and wanted to make the transition over to salt and was wondering what some good stocking for a small predator tank, my only available tank is my 75 and wanted some good recommendations. The one thing that for sure has to be there is a dwarf lionfish.

Thanks in advance!!

Will there b any growth of corals because most predator fish will tear that up?

You could do a wrasse like a melanurus. Any of the Valentino Toby puffers would work as well. A dwarf angel of any type would be fine as well.

I have found over decades of marine fish that for me there are 3 fish I will always have in my tank...
1 Marine Betta [comet]
2 Royal Gramma
3 Mandarin

The mandarins are not beginner fish but I have no problem keeping them alive for 4+ years on average..

Say no to damsels even for cycling as marine tanks are impossible to catch fish in when time to remove arrives and tearing marine tanks apart to catch fish can be a problem..
Clown fish come in many varieties and colors actually...I have an older picaso clown...

You could do a wrasse like a melanurus. Any of the Valentino Toby puffers would work as well. A dwarf angel of any type would be fine as well.

I was definitely thinking cleaner wrasse and a puffer and possible an eel!

I have found over decades of marine fish that for me there are 3 fish I will always have in my tank...
1 Marine Betta [comet]
2 Royal Gramma
3 Mandarin

The mandarins are not beginner fish but I have no problem keeping them alive for 4+ years on average..

Say no to damsels even for cycling as marine tanks are impossible to catch fish in when time to remove arrives and tearing marine tanks apart to catch fish can be a problem..
Clown fish come in many varieties and colors actually...I have an older picaso clown...

Yeah I've seen and researched those mandarins they are amazing looking but seem very difficult to care for, I definitely want some larger clowns and a marine betta looks nice!

Here are some predators you can look at:

Fuzzy dwarf lionfish...Dendrochirus brachypterus
Fu Man Chu lionfish...Dendrochirus biocellatus
Dendrochirus zebra (Dwarf Lionfish, Dwarf Zebra Lionfish)
Parapterois heterura (Bluefin Lionfish, Blackfoot Lionfish)

Spiny waspfish...Ablabys macracanthus
Cockatoo waspfish...Ablabys taeniantous
Longspine waspfish...Paracentropogon longispinus
Sailfin waspfish...Paracentropogon sp.
Whiteface waspfish...Richardsonichthys leucogaster

I kept a predator (FOWLR) tank before, most of these guys are small but are messy and require heavy filtration and biweekly water changes especially with such a small tank if you plan on keeping 2-3 predators.

These fish stay relatively small 6 inches or less but are messy tank inhabitants.

Here are two links to a website that specializes in these types of fish. The owners have their own forum and can be easily reached for questions.

lionfishlair.com

direct links: https://www.lionfishlair.com/care-guides/lionfish/
https://www.lionfishlair.com/care-guides/scorpionfish/

Good luck

Here are some predators you can look at:

Fuzzy dwarf lionfish...Dendrochirus brachypterus

Fu Man Chu lionfish...Dendrochirus biocellatus

Dendrochirus zebra (Dwarf Lionfish, Dwarf Zebra Lionfish)

Parapterois heterura (Bluefin Lionfish, Blackfoot Lionfish)

Spiny waspfish...Ablabys macracanthus

Cockatoo waspfish...Ablabys taeniantous

Longspine waspfish...Paracentropogon longispinus

Sailfin waspfish...Paracentropogon sp.

Whiteface waspfish...Richardsonichthys leucogaster

I kept a predator (FOWLR) tank before, most of these guys are small but are messy and require heavy filtration and biweekly water changes especially with such a small tank if you plan on keeping 2-3 predators.

These fish stay relatively small 6 inches or less but are messy tank inhabitants.

Here are two links to a website that specializes in these types of fish. The owners have their own forum and can be easily reached for questions.

lionfishlair.com

direct links: https://www.lionfishlair.com/care-guides/lionfish/

https://www.lionfishlair.com/care-guides/scorpionfish/

Good luck

Thank you very much! I will most likely buy a 150 gallon filter for the tank and do weekly water changes!

if your looking at larger clowns you may want to look into yellow striped maroons
my females over 6+ inch males about a inch there coming up on 10 yrs

blue head wrasse are nice too along with a red coris wrasse my smaller red corris is just starting to change colors beautiful fish

if your looking at larger clowns you may want to look into yellow striped maroons
my females over 6+ inch males about a inch there coming up on 10 yrs

blue head wrasse are nice too along with a red coris wrasse my smaller red corris is just starting to change colors beautiful fish

I've defiantly been looking into the maroons they are amazing looking! And about what size do wrasse get?

Also is my tank actually a 75? It's 4 foot by 2 foot by 20 inches or maybe even taller then 20 inches, I've gotta measure it again!

yes they stand by everything they sell

Ok thanks also I looked up the fish you said and the red coris is beautiful, do you think it would be happily housed in the tank and also what do you feed yours? Sorry for all of the questions.

John LiveAquaria has the best guarantee on the net. No questions asked? The simply tell sorry for your loss and give you a credit. They have excellent quality fish. Be sure to check out the Diver Den section, that is their WYSIWYG area. I've been buy from them for years.

John LiveAquaria has the best guarantee on the net. No questions asked? The simply tell sorry for your loss and give you a credit. They have excellent quality fish. Be sure to check out the Diver Den section, that is their WYSIWYG area. I've been buy from them for years.

Ahhh thank you very much! I'll check it out right now!

John, they add new fish every few days to their diver den section. You'll love it :cool:

I checked it today and I liked how they quarantine every thing and send you the exact animal in the picture!

Back
Top Bottom