new to saltwater. few questions on setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeff5347

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. This is my first attempt at SW. I've had FW since a kid and now want to try a SW as a FW doest have the cool fish. I want something that mimics the ocean, has color and just looking to try something new. So for now looking at a FOWLR setup.

Things I have so far and need to keep in mind are:
Built my stand ( 8 double 2x4 post)
Diy rock ( sitting in circulating water)
45 gallon tank
Need: Budget conscious as the wife does not want to take a second mortgage out.
I want to keep her happy as this will make this build a lot more fun and will keep her interested so I can keep moving forward.

I have been contemplating a diy sump w PS or a hang on the back PS. The hang on the back seems better for me in regards to price and as this is my first SW and I need to keep it simple first until I gain experience.
What i see I need to get going is a few pumps for water movement, the skimmer, live rock to seed my dead diy rock, better submersible heater, .. And not sure what else.
What hob skimmers do u guys feel is the best bang for the buck. Looking to do 200 or less and was curious on the reef octopus bh1000, back pak or what you guys may consider better. Was watching LA fish guys w reef dynamics and their PS skimmers look awesome but price is to high for this beginning stage.
I know I have more questions but kinda overwhelmed and not sure right now. I know my questions list will grow as time goes by. Thanks to all in advance for any feedback.

Re: Skimmers .. the Reef Octopus BH-90 is a decent one for a HOB. It's got a cylindrical body, which allows for better flow, etc than a rectangular body.

I keep swaying. I want to make a sump and get a in sump skimmer. Are there any that are good quality and also functional in the protein removal but don't cost an arm and a leg? I was looking at the vertex in 100 although that was made in 2010 it goes for around 220. That's doable. Are there better ones with everything included ( pump and so forth) for a smidge over 200 or less?

55g tank from petco $1/gallon- $55
3 acrylic sheets cut to dimension-$20
1 tube of GE Silicone 1-$5
Thats $80 all said and done. I realize that the 1/gallon sale comes once a year, if you check craigslist you can prob find the tank to fit your needs.
As for design i have a single baffle between chambers 1+2, and a double over-under baffle between 2+3. My drains empty into filter socks in c1, where the skimmer is. My live rock rubble, caulerpa, and heaters are in c2 (have dual t5 bulb over it) then my return pump in c3

As for design i have a single baffle between chambers 1+2, and a double over-under baffle between 2+3. My drains empty into filter socks in c1, where the skimmer is. My live rock rubble, caulerpa, and heaters are in c2 (have dual t5 bulb over it) then my return pump in c3

have any pix?

First one is of the double baffle between 2-3. Its almost impossible to see the baffles themselves but you can see the white caulking. Second pic is of the first chamber.

Attachments

• image-803529386.jpg
    image-803529386.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 86
  • image-2495741775.jpg
    image-2495741775.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 87
Cleaned it up a bit so the baffles were visible

Attachments

• image-3843246270.jpg
    image-3843246270.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 64
I have a20 regular but in my stand its just a bit tall for my liking. Gonna try a 20 long. Do you guys have any good sites that give details on how it should be made for the best results? Also looking at a sca 302 or reef octopus 4 for my skimmer paired with a quite one 4000 or mag 7 return pump

Back
Top Bottom