New to saltwater hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdude343

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am new to saltwater tanks and i don't know what fish to get or what filters/lighting ect... to get i have done some research but still don't know some things.I am thinking of getting a 58 gallon tank, here are the messurements.the width is 3 feet, the height is two feet and the depth is 16 inches.Sorry about the bad estimate earlyer.

Here is a list of the fish i am thinking of getting.Feel free to edit, comment and give me sugestions.
Two false percula clownfish
One rolyal Gramma
A few gobbies(i don't know much about gobies need to do more research.please suggest some different kinds.)
A few Green chormises
Some damsels(please suggest a few kinds.)

I don't know how many more fish i can put in because i need my cleaning crew.

Thanks please respond

Kinda sounds like a 29 gallon tank to me if the measurements are correct.

Regarding the amount of fish you can put in... it will vary greatly depending on how many gallons your tank actually is. If it's 29g, you're not going to be able to put all those fish in there, without something really really bad happening. If it's a 50g tank, then you *might* be able to squeak that many fish in there - as long as you don't put in the damsels.

To determine tank capacity, measure length, width, and depth (all in inches) and multiply them all together. Divide that number by 231, and that's how many gallons (roughly) you've got.

One note... your cleaning crew (snails, crabs, shrimp) don't really add to the bioload of the tank, so the amount of cleaning crew doesn't effect how many fish you can add.

I'd suggest getting a couple books to supplement your online research. The first is Michael Paletta's "The New Marine Aquarium", and the second is Robert Fenner's "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist". The first is a pretty easy, quick read that is a good overview of the hobby. The second is a good, in depth book that covers things in a little more detail. A lot of things probably won't make sense when you read them the first time, but as you get into the hobby more things will make sense.

And welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Oh... and it's a "Royal Gramma". ;)

Thanks ill look into the size of the tank.I think i just got the measurements wrong, i am positive it's a 58 gallon though.I will read about the books and may get them. Thanks for pointing out the spelling error.

Thanks again.

What lighting should i put in i wont have anything below soft corals or large polyps don't know which is first.Do most lights have reflectors in them if they don't where can you get them.

Back
Top Bottom