New to saltwater need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bsnow0410

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I'm new to saltwater I've looked up stuff before but I was gunna do a 20 long before and decided not to at the time but now I'm getting a 75 gallon tank and wanna take my time and do this this right. I wanna drill it and put a sump in but not sure how I'm gunna do that Bc not sure what I'd have to do? Can anybody help?

Glass-holes.com has nice kits to drill your tank and install an overflow.

YouTube has some nice videos of ppl drilling their tanks and how they do it

I decided if rather just go with a hangon back overflow just seems to be a lot easier then drilling holes and doing all of that. I'm just not really sure how to hook it all up and what to use in the sump and how a sump really works? Advice much appreciated

Hob overflows are fine, just beware they can lose siphon and flood your floor. You will have to figure out what size bulkheads your overflow uses and plumb it accordingly. I'm not that keen on how to set a sump up because I've only done it once with someone who was a lot more experienced so hopefully someone else can chime in. A sump is basically extra water volume and somewhere to put a skimmer, refugium, other equipment, etc...

I use a hob overflow on my 56. Does the job. But first things first. What size sump where you thinking? What kind of room do you have available? Will it be under the stand? Basically your sump is a place for you to put all of your equipment ( sump heater etc..) it also serves as filtration by adding media, a refugium etc. You don't need a refugium but they are helpful. But as for pumping it, it's really simple. You can do it yourself with PVC or tor LFS will have the correct tubing to fit the overflow box and one for whatever size return pump you get.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for all the info guys...I'm just trying to figure how to set up a sump so far. I wanna just buy one instead of building it but not sure how to set it up?

Buying it is easier, but is a little more expensive. I would say a good start would be 20-40 gallons. You don't want to go too small. But the size is really up to you. The bigger the better, more water volume= more room for those little errors that occur. Here's a link to a video
http://youtu.be/aaDDKNA4cn0

Just realized that wasn't the right video, lol. But if you just cruise YouTube and Google and search how to set up saltwater sumps you will learn a whole lot more. I'm a more visual learner myself and have utilized a lot from YouTube vids lol.

Also when looking into sump keep in mind that if you are putting it under the dt then you need to think about the dimensions of the sump.

I'll second Mr. X and also add that it's easier to get a quiet overflow with a drilled tank than a HOB. I also have a 75, and did not drill it. If I ever have to break the tank down to move it, it WILL be drilled.

Here's a video I made of my sump and an explanation of how mine works for your perusal.

Aquarium sump explanation - YouTube

Thanks for all the help much appreciated. And I want to drill it Bc it would be so much better in the long run. It says on the bottom of the tank I have "tempered glass" is that just for the bottom piece or all piece of glass ?

Okk. I may drill it I don't know yet. This is a long work in progress I'm gunna take my time and do it right. What type of lighting do people recommend? Either I'm gunna go all LEDs or fluorescents with the lunar LEDs Bc I loveeee the look of them tanks with the blue lights and everything glowing. But I wanna do corals so I wanna have a light good enough. And the tanks 48" do I have to get a 48" light?

So I decided I'm Gunna go with a prof lex sump and do a refugium. My biggest thing is I'm not sure how all the plumbing goes?

if I'm not mistaken, those proflex sumps have no room for a refugium AND a skimmer....it's either one or the other. The benefit of a good skimmer far outweighs a 10" x 14" refugium.
You are better off building your own out of a standard aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom