New to saltwater need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if I'm not mistaken, those proflex sumps have no room for a refugium AND a skimmer....it's either one or the other. The benefit of a good skimmer far outweighs a 10" x 14" refugium.
You are better off building your own out of a standard aquarium.

I've seen videos of people with a skimmer and a refugium but I could be mistaken. But I guess I should stop rushing every thing. My first step is to build a nice but not to nice stand.

I've seen videos of people with a skimmer and a refugium but I could be mistaken. But I guess I should stop rushing every thing. My first step is to build a nice but not to nice stand.

I tried a proflex on my first tank. Is there room for a skimmer and a fuge? Yes. Is it tiny on both ends, which negates the purpose? Yes. Along with that, it was expensive compared to when I build my own for about 50 bucks. Little did I know when I DIY'd it that I could have use plastic bins instead of a tank and that would have put the price better in my favor then too...for more water too!

I have been looking at ADHI sumps. They have wet/dry and refugium sumps to act for up to a 300gal display. They seem to have plenty of room to fit skimmer, refugium and return. Plus they come with lighting. Can be a bit pricey but they get good reviews

You can probably fit a 20 long in your tank stand. Partition it with 10" tall glass partitions (a glass shop will make them cheap) and make 3 sections (intake with skimmer, refugium, return, in that order) make the intake section about 11", and the return section big enough to fit your return pump (a mag drive 7 or similar).

You can probably fit a 20 long in your tank stand. Partition it with 10" tall glass partitions (a glass shop will make them cheap) and make 3 sections (intake with skimmer, refugium, return, in that order) make the intake section about 11", and the return section big enough to fit your return pump (a mag drive 7 or similar).

Yea I actually have a 20 long that I'm gunna use. So I need 4 10" glass partitions right and I know I have to put one like 2" from the bottom and one at the bottom about 2"? Apart? Not sure

Yea I actually have a 20 long that I'm gunna use. So I need 4 10" glass partitions right and I know I have to put one like 2" from the bottom and one at the bottom about 2"? Apart? Not sure
You only need 3. 1 between the intake and refugium, one after the refugium, and one about an inch away and an inch up after that.

You only need 3. 1 between the intake and refugium, one after the refugium, and one about an inch away and an inch up after that.

Ok thanks for the info much appreciated.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388165290.295679.jpg
So I decided I'm not gunna do a refugium yet in this 20 long I'm gunna build a tank for it. This is what I have so far done.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388165455.306061.jpg
I got my over built and painted and also painted the back of the tank. Waiting on the materials so I can have my woodworking friend build a nice stand for it for me haha

Where should I drill the holes at in the tank then? I know I've seen two and one so I'm not sure?

Back
Top Bottom