new to saltwater...need some info please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigford84

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok iv kinda got the skinny on saltwater tanks. but i would like some more info. my first tank is a 28 gal bow front
iv got 3o lbs of live sand
12 lbs live rock
heater
fluval 305 canister
thermometer
master test kit
light that came with tank=15w glo power glo
very small powerhead
salinaty meter
and salt.

its been cycling for around 3 weeks and is coming along well
todays test=
temp 78-80
ph 7.8
ammo 0.5
no 2 5.0
no 3 80 ppm
salinaty 1.023

what else could i need/want for this tank,i know i want better lighting cause i will be getting an anemone in the future. but what kind of light do i get??????????? what wpg?? can i use the light fixture i have?? it fits an 18'' bulb
and what fish should i get when ready???? i know i want 2 clown..the ones that look like nemo,can i have 2??? and what can go in with them? thanks for your time..

Attachments

• DSC01887.jpg
    DSC01887.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 86
you need more live rock. another 15-20 pounds.
yes, you can have 2 clowns, but they do not need an anemone, and one should not be purchased until this tank is at least 6 months old.
also, don't add any livestock until there is no detectable ammonia or nitrite.
When you see something interesting at the pet store, make sure you research it before you purchase it.

you cannot keep anything photosynthetic under the light fixture you have. you'll need much more light.
metal halide, individually reflected T-5 HO, or the new and super expensive LED lighting is what is necessary.

Doug has given you some good advice. I will add to it. Forget about an anemone. Their lifespan in the wild is so long it is undetermined. Their lifespan in a tank is generaly under 2 years, most perish long before that.

After the ammonia and nitrite are reading ZERO you should do a 30% - 50% water change. That will bring the nitrates down to acceptable levels. Add a pinch of food and test a week later to make sure there is still no detectable ammonia or nitrite. Then you are ready to add your first fish.

A bit of advice (my 10 rules) for a succesful aqaurium or, things I learned the hard way!

Rule # 1. Nothing Good ever happens Fast in a salt water aquarium
Rule # 2. Don't add anything (supplements/chemicals/minerals)you don't test for first.
Rule # 3. PWC (Partial Water Changes) are your friend, and cure many ills.
Rule # 4. QT EVERYTHING before adding it to your tank (mandarins excepted, corals should be dipped)
Rule # 5. Use only RO or RODI water (either buy it or make it)
Rule # 6. All animal species live longer on a 30% reduced caloric intake. Only feed every other day at most (fish species dependant)
Rule # 7. Hyposalinity is the best, safest, and most effective treatment for marine Ich (IMHO)
Rule # 8. A Refractometer is a MUST HAVE, not a luxury.
Rule # 9. Anemones will never live anywhere near their normal (aprox 30 years) lifespan in a home aquarium. Leave them in the ocean.
Rule # 10. The tank size recommendations for fish are there for a reason - HEED THEM!

good advice from doug and cmor,maybe add a background,glass cleaner and some more cuc if that snail is all you've got?

Back
Top Bottom