Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2008, 01:37 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
First things first. GREAT job on what you are doing.
Your pH will still fluctuate since your tank is still in the process of stabilizing.
You have no critters producing waste, so you may want to add a tiny bit of fish food (so it will decay and produce ammonia) to feed the beneficial bacteria (remember, that bacteria needs that ammonia to keep it alive and to convert it to nitrItes and then to nitrAtes).
The "perfect" temp is a stable one with a 2 degree swing max.
Allen, cooma7 is on the C scale not the F one. I grew up in Germany and am now corrupted by the "standard" (not really, since the US only uses it....so it's not really standard...)....off my soap box....
PS.....metrics are waaaaaaay easier! LOL!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thanks for the reply roka.
ok so it will be best for me to put something in my tank to produce ammonia?
i dont have any fish food. could i put a little bit of canned tuna or something?

i dont really get it, isnt the point to have my ammonia on 0 before i add any fish? my tank was second hand when i got it so it had already been through its cycle.
i think i am missing something haha.

ok so with the temp. since i know my tank will always get up to around 28.5c during the day i would be best setting my heater at say 27 and try to have 29 as my max?
or is that a little bit to warm for them?

also my live rock is pretty boring, none of it really has any cool little critters on it (apart from a few little swinging plants that hide when they notice you.)
do other things grow into the rock, or do they always just stay the same (whatever is on them from the ocean is what will always be on them)?

Old 10-26-2008, 02:32 AM   #13

oh and yes, im on the C scale haha, completely random but i dated a german girl for a while :P
Old 10-26-2008, 03:50 AM   #14

here are just a couple of photos taken with my phone. they are pretty bad but u get the point

this is my substrate is this crushed coral or sand? it doesnt look like coral now i look at it properly. it looks like little rocks.
\

this is the rocks i have so far. they look ok in real life, not so good in the pic. but i have managed to make a nice little cave in there. ill get a bit more rock soon.
(and a better camera haha)
Old 10-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
hard to say for sure about the substrate, looks like a coarser grade ( bigger grains) sand.

Nice live rocks! I wish mine had that much coraline on it Looks like your tank is off to a great start. As I'm sure it was stated before just kick start your cycle when you're ready with some grocery store shrimp and test every day to every few days to see the cycle working.

I am a HUGE advocate of having a QT tank to not only qt all new arrivals but also for treatments if needed. I would highly suggest buying a cheap 10-20 gallon tank set up ( pretty cheap here, usually about $20-40 US) and get it cycling along with your main tank, so you can put your first fish in there

good luck!!

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Hmmm, ok, well, add a raw shrimp and test for ammonia in 3-4 days. If there is no ammonia present, your beneficial bacteria is alive and converting the ammonia to nitrItes into nitrAtes, you can then add a fish and a very small clean up crew.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #17

ok thanks,

and what about temp. would 28.5c be ok or is that to warm?
I read on a site that the ideal reef temp is between 27 - 29 but i think thats a bit higher than what you guys are all saying.
If it could sit at about 28.5 it would be perfect. I am getting some fans for sure, so hopefully that can drop it down a little bit.
but being on the gold coast.. where i live, It does get very warm. (we just had indy by the way!)

and i will get some raw shrimp tonight after work. how much do i put in there? as said before, would a bit of tuna work? or does it need to be shrimp.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

28.5 is about 82F which is a little on the high side (but still acceptable) as long as it doesn't go much higher. You want a range from 25.5-27.8 (stable is important) so even if you are on the higher end if it is stable you should be good.
You can probably use the tuna (anything that will decompose) but I would wonder about any preservatives in the tuna.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #19

thanks, i think once i get this fan i should be able to keep it to about 28 maybe even lower.
the strange thing is i woke up this morning, wend down stairs and it was on 27.4! what the? i have my heater set at 28 just to try to keep everything stable. now it was on 27.4 and the heater isnt even on? maybe its a bit dodgy.

about the tuna, oh well, i just put a little bit in there, will have to see what it does, but my tank should already be cycled and ready to go i would think. i dont mind waiting , i cannot do anything until i get this temp sorted out anyway!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:29 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

That's no a bad swing. What kind of thermometer are you using?

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
clean, cleaning, salt, saltwater, tan, tank cleaning

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com