New to saltwater: Questions about lighting/water and corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beveridge.H

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings!
I am new to keeping saltwater aquariums, and I recently purchased my first saltwater aquarium: A 29g Biocube Aquarium. It has been running for a couple days now. I have been looking around on the internet, but I cannot find any answers to my questions, and I do not want to make a mistake with this tank that could have been avoided. I'll post some specifications on the setup.

Here is the details on the water:
Around half(estimating) of the water in the tank is pre-made saltwater. The other half is established saltwater, coming straight from a functioning 450g tank. I bought all the water from a local marine and fish store.

The lighting in the tank is:
1-36 Watt 10,000K fluorescent lamp.
1-36 Watt True Actinic 03 fluorescent lamp.
Lunar Blue, Moon Glow LED lights.

I still have to test the water, would using a hydrometer be a good way to test the salinity in the water? I have read that they cannot be very accurate in some cases. :confused:

What corals/inverts. do you guys recommend based on my setup and lighting?
Any tips or answers would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks for your time!

A refractometer is much more accurate to measure salinity. You can get them for around $30 shipped on eBay and other places online.

You can have any coral you want in there. I had an aquarium maintenance client who had a very similar setup (same lighting on a 34gallon) and he had a clam, SPS, LPS, and soft corals. His corals probably did the best out of all of our clients, or at least close to it.

Back
Top Bottom