Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2014, 02:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New to saltwater tanks

Need help getting started.
Wanna know what basics im gonna need to get a saltwater tank up and going

Old 04-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Read the sticky at the top of the forum "stock list and tips for maintaining a sw aquarium"

Old 04-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #3

I dont have the stickies thing on my phone
Old 04-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What you want to keep animal-wise pretty much dictates the answer to your question. Have you figured that out yet?
Old 04-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post
What you want to keep animal-wise pretty much dictates the answer to your question. Have you figured that out yet?

Eh, not really. There are many things that every tank needs, no matter what your stocking is. Stocking will influence your tank size but that's not a basic concept or element to saltwater tank. Things like Cylcing, Rock, Nutrient Export, and trace elements are basics.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macscale View Post
Eh, not really. There are many things that every tank needs, no matter what your stocking is. Stocking will influence your tank size but that's not a basic concept or element to saltwater tank. Things like Cylcing, Rock, Nutrient Export, and trace elements are basics.

I agree insofar as cycling and nutrient export is concerned, but what I need to keep a yasha goby in a FOWLR is going to be different from keeping a naso tang in a reef.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post
I agree insofar as cycling and nutrient export is concerned, but what I need to keep a yasha goby in a FOWLR is going to be different from keeping a naso tang in a reef.

I'm sorry I don't see what you are saying? Stocking and fish requirements aren't really saltwater basics. Those all come after you cycle, after you find a nutrient export system, after you get your rock, and so on an so forth. Every tank has to have those things. Once you learn the basics, you can move onto deciding specifics for your tank like FOWLR or Reef or SO tank.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #8

I mean like what brand of sand, live rock, what type of filter should i get ? What brands work the best since im new to saltwater im gonna start out with something small like a 55 or 60 gallon tank till i get accustomed to it
Old 04-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdl25 View Post
I mean like what brand of sand, live rock, what type of filter should i get ? What brands work the best since im new to saltwater im gonna start out with something small like a 55 or 60 gallon tank till i get accustomed to it
Those aren't small tanks per say lol. Those are good starter size tanks. Since this is your first sw you probably will not be running a sump. I'd go with at least one aqua clear 110 hob filter. A hob protein skimmer rated for at least 100 gallons. Reef octopus an eshopps make nice ones. You will need powerheads. Koralia work nicely. You want about 20 x tank turnover per hour. Your lfs Should have live rock, but you can use mainly base rock from bulkreefsupply or such. You'll need 55-75 lbs. Sand should be aragonite based. A refractometer to measure salinity. Instant ocean is a good cheap salt mix. Idk if I'm forgetting anythig
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:18 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would do a 55 with a 20 gallon sump, protien skimmer, ( I have a reef octopus nw110 skimmer) good return pump (mag7 or rio 2500 are good)40 lbs live sand, 60 lbs live rock, a good test kit (red sea, sea chem ) descent led lights

dino

Tags
ate, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, saltwater tanks, tan, tank, tanks, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com