Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New To Saltwater Tanks

Hello. I have a 37gal freshwater tank that I really like but I purchased another tank over the weekend that I am making a saltwater tank. It is just a 6gal NanoCube tank. I have bought the live sand and 7 lbs of live rock. With the NanoCube (very impressed with it by the way) there is a regular light for the saltwater and a new LED light for at night. My question is how much do I want to light the tank. With my freshwater tank I have it on a timer to go on and off a couple times a day and they get about a total of 12 hours light. Also, with the live rock that I bought from the local place, a great sea urchin was hiding in one and has come out since I put the salt water in. Does that guy need food or does he just feed off of any organisms on the rock? Thank you for your help!

TEC5154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Brodie
You're going to need to have steady light on your tank. I would say at least 8 hours of uninterrupted light per day. Are you planning on putting corals in your tank? As far as your urchin goes, I don't have much experience with them. I've heard they eat Coraline algae, but I don't know how true that statement is. Good luck!

Be ocean minded, keep our beaches clean.
Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
You should have a timer for this tank and it should have a consistent 12 hours of light. You may have to alter depending on algae growth.
What type of bulb/s came with nanocube?
Do you have a test kit and hydrometer? You will have to keep on top of evaporation.
Let your tank sit for a couple of weeks before you get any livestock. Tank needs to cycle.
After it cycles, you should limit yourself to one fish, 2 inches. Clown gobies are colorful and interesting. Check out www.liveaquaria.com they have a nano fish section in there salt water fish section to give you ideas.
You'll also be able to add a couple of hermit crabs and snails.
EJS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Do yo have a link to this particular tank? Who makes it? I can better answer your questions once I have researched the product.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Link to site

This is the same tank except I have the one that is 6gal and all the new models have the blue LED light for at night.
TEC5154 is offline   Reply With Quote

salt, saltwater, saltwater tanks, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com