New To Saltwater Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TEC5154

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I have a 37gal freshwater tank that I really like but I purchased another tank over the weekend that I am making a saltwater tank. It is just a 6gal NanoCube tank. I have bought the live sand and 7 lbs of live rock. With the NanoCube (very impressed with it by the way) there is a regular light for the saltwater and a new LED light for at night. My question is how much do I want to light the tank. With my freshwater tank I have it on a timer to go on and off a couple times a day and they get about a total of 12 hours light. Also, with the live rock that I bought from the local place, a great sea urchin was hiding in one and has come out since I put the salt water in. Does that guy need food or does he just feed off of any organisms on the rock? Thank you for your help!

You're going to need to have steady light on your tank. I would say at least 8 hours of uninterrupted light per day. Are you planning on putting corals in your tank? As far as your urchin goes, I don't have much experience with them. I've heard they eat Coraline algae, but I don't know how true that statement is. Good luck!

You should have a timer for this tank and it should have a consistent 12 hours of light. You may have to alter depending on algae growth.
What type of bulb/s came with nanocube?
Do you have a test kit and hydrometer? You will have to keep on top of evaporation.
Let your tank sit for a couple of weeks before you get any livestock. Tank needs to cycle.
After it cycles, you should limit yourself to one fish, 2 inches. Clown gobies are colorful and interesting. Check out www.liveaquaria.com they have a nano fish section in there salt water fish section to give you ideas.
You'll also be able to add a couple of hermit crabs and snails.

Do yo have a link to this particular tank? Who makes it? I can better answer your questions once I have researched the product.

Back
Top Bottom