New to SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedNeck

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I am new to salt water and wondering what is involed before I jump in. I have located a 30gal. tank. Help pleaseeeee!

All I really gathered is to get an ro/di. Is it nessasary? I keep freshwater and all I do is add prime.

sorry didn't mean to hastle anyone....just figured someone could quickly tell me its 3 times more expensive or you dont need much more....its easier for me to learn by talking to someone instead of reading a write up. I must have mistakin this as a getting started thread:banghead:....once again I apologize.

You are correct, ask away :)

Yes you need rodi water! :0 you can get a cheap 60 dollar system, or buy it from the lfs every week. Its very cheap there

An RO/DI system will help prevent early issues with algae taking over your tank from the excess nutrients in your water. Having this setup will then save you a ton of money in the long run as, even though it can be cheap, buying DI water can get expensive. I'd rather pay 30 cents per gallon, if that, compared to over a dollar.

For any other assistance, are you planning on going with a fish only setup or looking for future reef? The choice will state the rest of our answers.

I was leaning towards fish only just out of thought it would be simpler to do....I guess I could be off?

Congratulations! You just won the saltwater game. You can use stock lighting, don't require a sump, fuge, skimmer, or anything else overly expensive. Research live rock and find some, or dry macro rock, for your tank and some sand. Add a small powerhead for some flow and you win. The rest can easily be answered by the articles listed above. While you cycle your tank, you can research what livestock you'd like in your 30 gal.

The only downfall here is that you will find many fish you wish you could have but require a much larger tank. Whatever you do, don't look into any corals or you will be hooked and require all of the things you don't need. Lol.

Advice taken! All I wanted was my 15 gal. hex with a few fish. Now I got the 15 gal., a 10 gal, and looking into a sw tank haha. I might go bigger on the tank just to avoid future regret!:D

Beware of MTS lol I started with a 20 then a 55 then a 90 now have a 180 starting to think i may need help :facepalm:

Once you start saltwater you won't go back we went from 20 to 35 to 55 to 75. They are all up and running. All this in 5 months :) Just starting a 8 gal biocube for reef. My husband and I joke that we need to go to AA. Aquarists anonymous. :)

Let the tank cycle for 4 weeks. Only add 1-2 fish at a time. Before adding more make sure your levels are good. You will get diatom on your sand bed (brown algae) it can be there for a few months, continue to clean the sand at your weekly water changes. The sump, protein skimmer and other bells and whistles are expensive. I suggest them. But if you don't want them just make sure to check your levels often.
Good luck and welcome!

Back
Top Bottom