New to SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrueEnvy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello every one I'm vary happy to say I'm starting a SW tank I'm going to clean my 55 out after I get my 75gal for my FW. So I have a few questions. What do you think I should pay for a protein skimmer? What the best salt tester for the water? And after my tank gets started well it be big enuf for a flame angel fish? I've reed that the need a min of 30 and I've reed they need a min of 75gal. So would my 55gal be big enuf for the angel? I do plan on geting some other fish but after I'm done my list I well post it to see whet every one thinks...

Hi welcome to the salty side! For a skimmer look at spending $150-250. You will want a refractometer to test salinity. Yes that tank is fine for a flame

Thank you! Can wait to set it all up haha need to save up some cash for that skimer tho haha

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399693955.039327.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399693967.278671.jpg I was looking at these ones do you have any experience with them or heard of?

Corallife are kinda crap. I've never heard anything on aquamedic. Are you doing a sump? Or will the skimme be hob?

Since you're buying a 75 have you thought about using that for the salt tank instead? A 55 is kinda sub par for aquascaping a saltwater tank imho. It will also go e you enough room in the stand for a refugium.

You may want to look into saltwater fish only and reef to decide on your live stack as well. I'm no expert only been in the game for a few months but I suggest a the book saltwater aquariums for dummies before you take to many strides. It will answer a lot of questions and give you a general idea of what your in for. I think angel fish are a bit territorial and unless you have a massive system may benefit in a fish only tank. But your going to need to research that a bit. That book also gives you a generally idea of what fish are more aggressive. I have heard some say you can get away with a hob skimmer in a fish only tank but if you plan on keeping corals you might Your going to need a sump to go under your stand to place your protein skimmer and a number of other pieces of required equipment. Just don't go out and by anything until you really do your research or you'll do what I did and you'll pay trust me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

USED!!! USED!! USED!! 90G $250.00 AquaC Remora skimmer/w drain tube $300.00 , if your tank isn't drilled if your tank isn't I would check out the Fishtank Doc on youtube very good info for saltwater.......save $$ I wish I saw that back in 1991!!!

Ya I'm sticking with the 55 for SW and was just looking up some used skimmers on ebay there prices are really good

Back
Top Bottom