Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New to SW/ 40br fowlr build

I am brand new to this SW game and need a hand in direction. I picked up my 40 gallon breeder tank yesterday from petco. I am going to be making my own stand I believe. This is my list of other components I had tentatively picked out for the build so far.
150w heater
reef octopus bh1000 skimmer
koralia 750 & 550 power heads
and probably 40lbs of base rock and sand combo pack from marcorocks.com (If I do any live rock I was going to get 5lbs or so locally)

Is there any changes I should make? Any suggestions or critiques? I know I will need a hydrometer and am planning on getting an api saltwater test kit.

40b SW- 2 false percula, some corals and a small cuc
RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're going to want a refractometer. They're 1000x more accurate. Also, your definitely going to want to add about 5lbs lr. It will help a lot in seeding the base. Best of luck!!!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
If this is going to be a fowlr you can cross the skimmer off the list, it's not needed but that being said it wouldn't be a bad thing. What are you thinking of having for fish?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll want anything and everything to keep the water clean. The less clean, the more frequent and larger water changes you will have to make. Skimmer IMO is a high priority in any tank.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance
You'll want anything and everything to keep the water clean. The less clean, the more frequent and larger water changes you will have to make. Skimmer IMO is a high priority in any tank.
This is true but fish have a higher tolerance to nitrates (depending on the fish) than coral and inverts do so a skimmer is often considered optional on fowlr tanks. If you have the budget for a skimmer then get it cause it will help.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post
If this is going to be a fowlr you can cross the skimmer off the list, it's not needed but that being said it wouldn't be a bad thing. What are you thinking of having for fish?
I was deff. thinking 2 clown fish. I love white on orange coloring and the way the move. I am not to sure what else I could add to this. I will be getting a skimmer. I don't have money to toss but a clean tank is worth the extra to me!
Old 06-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post
This is true but fish have a higher tolerance to nitrates (depending on the fish) than coral and inverts do so a skimmer is often considered optional on fowlr tanks. If you have the budget for a skimmer then get it cause it will help.
Less nitrAte is the result of a skimmer with hobby test kits. The true effect is less dissolved organic waste in the overall water quality. High levels of organic waste is not good for any fish regardless of fish tolerance to nitrAte. Premature death is the result of poor water quality.

I hope I'm not stepping on your toes.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance

Less nitrAte is the result of a skimmer with hobby test kits. The true effect is less dissolved organic waste in the overall water quality. High levels of organic waste is not good for any fish regardless of fish tolerance to nitrAte. Premature death is the result of poor water quality.

I hope I'm not stepping on your toes.
You are not stepping on my toes at all, I'm totally for skimmers as I run one myself. Just trying to relay that if water quality is monitored and maintained then a skimmer isn't a must have is all, at least in a fowlr. A reef tank needs more pristine water but even there it is optional provided maintenance is done regularly and when needed. Skimmers are basically a tool used by hobbyists to reduce maintenance and cut down on water changes which I am in favour of it means more time looking at the tank and less time working on it.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok....Stand has been ordered through the lfs today. I am looking online at glass tops and for the 36"x18" it states "with center brace". My 40b does not have a center brace. Can anyone point me in the direction as to where I can purchase a glass top for this tank. Also any light suggestions are welcome!
Old 06-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go to lowes/home depot and have them cut you a top

Tags
build, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com