Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2016, 01:52 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Oh yes but so much better now. Plan on testing later tonight. I do have one of the seachem ammonia alert devices which is reading safe now. I don't know how accurate these are but so far has been on point.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 05-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #12
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Looking at your readings your still not out of the woods

pre WC
PH 7.8
Ammonia 2
Nitrite 1-2
Nitrate 80

Post WC about 15-20%
PH 7.8
Ammonia 2 needs to be at 0 your ammonia didn't change
Nitrite 1 needs to be at 0 nitrite hasn't changed
Nitrate 40 your at the top of the scale for a fowler try to get around 20 , getting better but still could go down more.

I'm still concerned that there's not much live rock , the little you have will not support anymore stock .
adding more fish could crash the tank so do be careful

Old 05-10-2016, 09:19 PM   #13

Thank you. Plan to get some more shortly. LFS kind of skimpy right now & expecting shipment soon. Also was told I can use Lava rock from the garden supply store & what good I have will go onto that. Any thoughts on that?

Yes just watch & wait game but you just don't know how excited I am with the numbers actually changing. Won't add any other creatures until I know they are good.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:13 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Don't use lava rock. Some can contain heavy metals that can leach into the water column, which can lead to not being able to keep coral or invertebrates if enough does if it's copper.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #15
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
You will be cycled when you have 0 nitrite and 0 ammonia. Keep doing water changes. There's an old saying..."the solution to pollution is dilution". Be patient and keep doing water changes and don't add any more livestock till your nitrite and ammonia is 0 and nitrate drops more.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:29 AM   #16

Ph-8
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Salinity 1.024
Phosphate 0
Alkalinity 15 - believe an error in my part but will recheck tomorrow
Calcium 460
Magnesium 1290

Getting there 🤗

Old 05-11-2016, 09:20 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjerseymom View Post
So excited! My tank finally cycled & looks better. My clownfish, fire shrimp & even my snails are even acting happier!Attachment 286705
Pre-WC
PH 7.8
Ammonia 2
Nitrite 1-2
Nitrate 80
Post WC about 15-20%
PH 7.8
Ammonia 2
Nitrite 1
Nitrate 40
So excited to have my ammonia down when it was up to 8. Will keep watching & do some more research to see what my next addition will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjerseymom View Post
Ph-8
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Salinity 1.024
Phosphate 0
Alkalinity 15 - believe an error in my part but will recheck tomorrow
Calcium 460
Magnesium 1290

Getting there 🤗

Those numbers are impossible, a 15-20% change can only drop #s by 15-20%. And unless you did a 90% change in water 35ppm of nitrate can't just disappear especially in a few hours

Old 05-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #18

Well either the test is in error or something else. I took out 3 -5 gallon buckets almost filled to the top. I have a 75 gallon tank. I just know my last ones from last night & will recheck in a day or so.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

couple of suggestions;
seeing that the fluval canister is your filtration right now, turn it off when feeding so food isn't sucked into the canister to decay.
you need a LOT more rockwork in there, not only for the bacteria to colonize, but also to minimize the fishes stress levels.

It takes AT LEAST 6 weeks to cycle a tank, and that is only the aerobic half of the bacterial filter. Denitrifying bacteria that break down nitrate take a minimum of 10-12 weeks before they begin to take a foothold and start working at any degree that helps.

A fully cycled and conditioned saltwater set-up really takes about a year before things really settle into a stable biotope.

Plus no need to test anything beyond ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph at this stage.
testing the other parameters is a waste of reagent.
You only need to be concerned about those levels after you start adding coral to the tank. Your water changes will keep those parameters in check as far as fish are concerned.

and what's the temperature? should be around 78-82 for cycling to be efficient
Old 05-18-2016, 11:46 PM   #20

Most recent check
Temp 80.7
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Specific gravity- 1.024

I actually have a sump I am waiting on to be delivered then I can put it together & set it up. Plan to use some more rock in there. Plan on buying a couple more pieces but don't want the tank so crowded. But will try to get the right pieces to fit in & give some good hiding spots.

I have add a couple more snails & took a chance with a flaming angel. So far she is doing good- starting to come out more & not hiding as much. My 2 clownfish are still doing good as well as my fire shrimp. Slow & steady but being real careful in what I add & how fast. Next if he comes in will get my red scooter blenny. Just hoping one comes in the shipment.

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com