Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-10-2004, 02:49 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thx for all the good info and advice guys.

I don't plan on getting any fish that are out of my league. I've been doing a lot of research on different types of fish and I think I'm gonna get mostly docile fish that will get along with each other well.

Most likey, I'll get some green chromis, a firefish, some sort of a goby, and maybe a couple clowns.

The fish list is still up in the air...but the fish I plan on getting will be small so I hope it won't be overpopulated.

bobajum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:05 PM   #12
Oh...couple more question for you guys...

In my 6 gallon tank right now...I have a Sebae Clown and a Clown Goby and they just started taking food after about a week. They seem to take the flakes in their mouth but spit it back out and hardly seem to eat them...but they do eat a flake here and there.

1. What other types of food should i try to get for them?

2. Should i get a couple of hermit crabs to clean up the leftover food? cause i seem to be getting quite a bit of fallen flakes.

Old 12-10-2004, 05:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
try using Formula One and Formula two frozen foods. My clowns love it. small blue legged hermits would ge a good addition (get about 4)

your fish could be not eating because they are having a hard time adjusting to the tiny system. I would get the 40 gallon going ASAP.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 02:34 PM   #14

I finally got a 40G setup.

I bought a Used setup from a guy but the acrylic tank i got from him was in terrible condition so I went and bought a new 40G glass tank.

Here is what I got from him...

He had a Tang of some sort and a Maroon clown ( pretty big) with about 50-60 lbs of live rock ( im not sure if they are live or not anymore) and about 3" of crushed coral/sand mixture. I also got the Tank/Stand/Canopy from him, a CPR BakPak skimmer, a Magnum 350, a heater, JBJ PC light fixture, and an assortment of chemicals and such.

I will be selling the old beat up tank and the 2 fish to someone so I hope they will end up in good hands.

Now...here are some questions I have.

Well...let me give u guys the run down first... The guy I got the the setup from said he had it for about 5 years....he said he couldnt take care of it anymore so he was getting rid of it....from the looks of it...it looks like he hadnt cleaned the tank in about 2 years as most of the tank was covered in some sort of algae and other crud. While we were taking all the stuff out of his tank...he tried to clean the sand a bit and it looked like he hadnt cleaned the sand in about 3-4 years...water was black and foul smelling!!! When I say the water was black...I mean like muddy black water...no exaggeration!!!

Anyway...after I cleaned up everything...its looking pretty good...especially with my new tank. So back to the questions...

1. I threw out most of the rock as they had some white slimy things on them like they were dead coral or something. I have about 15lbs worth I kept. I am not sure if the rocks are live anymore but I've kept them in SW since I got them yesterday.

2. The sand he had was full of gravel and small pieces of coral and crushed sea shells. Will this type of sand be suitable for LS or will I need to go buy a whole new batch of sand? I really dont want to buy a whole 50lbs or so of sand as I can't find the play sand anywhere in my area. Not only that...I spend like 3 hours cleaning the sand via hand!!! I got all the gunk out and its nice and clean now and I'd hate to see all that work go to waste.

3. Do I have to go through and cycle the tank completely for 4-6 weeks before I can stock with with fish and stuff?? The rocks are from his tank and it seems like there is still some algae on them. I want to try to get my Sebae and Goby from my 6g into my new setup as soon as I can.

4. I plan on getting some more LR from this place http://www.oceanproaquatics.com/shop...hp/cPath/30_88 . Anyone have any experience with them?? I will be out of town for about a week, so do I start my cycle after I add the new rocks?

Any and all info would be great.

BTW...you guys are awesome with all the great info and help

40 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com