new to sw - please advise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lonestar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, all!
My girlfriend got me a 12 gallon eclipse sw tank that came with a bunch of stuff to get started with salt water. I want to set it up, and i'm thinking a percula clown, neon goby, barnacle blenny, and a hermit crab / shrimp for cleaning? Hoping to make it a FOWLR tank. However I am green as the grass when it comes to sw tanks. I do realize that it's going to require a lot of maintenance.

What do I need to monitor in addition to kH pH ammonia and nitrite?
And is this plan of mine leading to ammonia poisoning due to overstocking the tank?

As I said it's an eclipse tank, so it has the mechanical filter, bio wheel, and CP light in the hood.

And lastly, is anyone going to eat anyone?

Thanks in advance 8O

Just want to clarify you are talking about an eclipse vs. Nano cube?

If it is an eclipse was it actually sold as a SW setup? The reason I ask is IMO the eclipse filtratrion may be good for say 3-10 small FW fish, but is probably under rated for even 1-2 SW. I speak from experience as I tried to help my brother do a 25 gal eclipse SW and the filtration could not really keep up with SW.

I do not want to burst your bubble, but if it is returnable I would look at the nano cube for a few $ more. I just saw it tonight for $119 and that includes lights and filtration just like the eclipse but much better quality of both.

The other issue is that 12 gal is pretty small for a SW set-up, but can be done. If space and $ are not a real issue then the biggest system you can afford will make you experience that much easier. In the case of SW a larger tank to a point is actually easier to maintain than a small one.

If the 12 gal is all you can do right now than I would defiantly steer you toward the nano cube.

As far as fish what you described sounds fine for a 12Gal Nano cube(Not sure about that blenny). Eventually you should have several crabs along with some snails for a clean up crew. Actually some would say as many as 1/gal of each as a rule of thumb. Snails and crabs do not count against your bio load.

Of course whatever you do take it slow and no fish until your tank is cycled.

Here are a couple of starter articles:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=18

At least you are here at AA, I am sure others will have plenty of advice to offer.

Good luck,

Thanks for your adivce. The tank can't be returned at this point. It is the kit that comes with a bunch of stuff for SW though. I'm thinking if I do only two or three SMALL fish and keep an eye on the water quality I should be alright?

Also thanks for the info on crabs and snails. I had no idea they don't really add to the bioload.

Thanks again!

always here to try and help. By your response I am assuming it is the eclipse then. As stated earlier start slow and add only one fish at a time once the tank is cycled.

keep in mind 1-2 fish maybe 3 very small will be your max load with this system. Do some research while you are waiting for the tank to cycle.

Depending on the lighting provided you may be able to even support some low light corals down the road as well.

Here is another link on some fish to consider as well:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=20&pCatId=2124&TopCatId=2124

Cannot stress enough to take it slow and be patient. Hang around this site a while and you will pick up some good info. One other suggestion as you start to set up your tank, use RO water. Not sure what your local water quality is where you live, but RO will help eliminate a lot of headaches with maintaining water quality in a small system.

10 gals will probably fill your tank once you put in substrate and rock. I would get a 5 gal container and always have some fresh on hand for top offs due to evaporation and 5 gal pre mixed for water changes. With that system you will probably want to look at changing 2 gal a week until you know you can keep the water quality up.

Good luck,

I would just like to add that I am new to the SW realm as well and I have a 12 gal Nano-cube. I have had it for 3 weeks and things are progressing nicely.

I agree that there IS more involved with keeping your tank up and running, but if you are consistent on testing and making sure that all your levels are good you should be fine. PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE is the key to all of this.

Do not be discouraged by anything that happens and ask questions often, because that is the best way to learn...from everyone elses successess and failures.

Good Luck with you new tank :)

Back
Top Bottom