New to SW, System Up and Running

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nybillygoat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone!!

I'am new to the SW Community, I've Just Recently Purchased a New 75 Gallon Tank ( no over flows), Pine Stand, All Glass Tops, Single Strip Light. I also Have a New Pro Clear Aquatic 125 Wet/Dry With a Rio 2500 submersible Pump, with a hang on Overflow (prefilter). Have 300W Sub. Heater In fish tank. I have 40 lbs. of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand. I used Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix In my tank. During Setup I Filled Tank With 75 gallons of 82 degree tap Water. I than Added enough salt for 78.8 Gallons Of Water to accomandate for 3.3 Gal Wet/Dry. I drop My Rio 2500 Submersible Pump in bottom of tank, i let salt and water circulate for 3 hours. Next i hooked up my wet/dry to fish tank and and filled with chilled water. I ran System for 2 hours, check SA was At 1.025 At 80 Degrees. I then Filled Tank with 40 Lbs. Of live Rock, Let sit for 2 Hours, and Filled in with Live Sand.

System Has now Been Sitting For 2 Full Days running. These are my Tan Parameters, Sa 1.022 @ 78 Degrees, Ph 8.2, Ammonia 0.00 ppm, No-2 0.00 ppm, No-3 15-20 ppm, The Nitrates is what worrys me, is my tank still to new for accurate levels?

Also i'm worried about my bio-balls and the stories i hear about them being Nitrate traps, can i replaced them with something else in my wet/dry system?

With My Pro Clear Aquatic 125, is their a way that i can set it up as a refugium? maybe using a 10 gallon tank along side of it and drill holes? any one have pictures or step by step instructions on how to do this?

Things i need to still get is A high end skimmer to mount in wet dry, also looking at Inline Ultra Violet light and a Inline 300w Heater.... anything you can think of that i missed???

Also How long should i wait for system to cycle before added fish, i'm guessing atleast 2 months or until i can get my Nitrates Down?

Thanks for all the help, i've been searching this site for all the info i can get....

You cycling with the live rock? Not sure 40 lbs will do it. Look for the article at this site on fishless cycling with grocery store shrimp. Gotta be able to see the ammonia go up real high and then nitrite do the same thing. Once both @ zero, you're cycled. Don't worry about the nitrates until after you go thru the ammonia & nitrite thing.

Good luck.

Almost forgot my manners... welcome to AA!!

WELCOME TO AA!!!!!!!!

Filled Tank With 75 gallons of 82 degree tap Water

Not long ago, there was a discussion about using warm tap water. The heating element has copper, not good for inverts/LR. I pre mix my water for 24-38 hours for proper aireation. I fill my bucket up, add the heater PH and salt. It is not recommended to add salt directly to your main, there tends to be funk in the mix and will settle to the bottom of your pre mixing bucket.

Also i'm worried about my bio-balls and the stories i hear about them being Nitrate traps, can i replaced them with something else in my wet/dry system?
Some folks will use LR rubble instead of bioballs. A cycle can take 4-6weeks, maybe shorter or a little longer. As austinsdad said, add more LR and this could help to speed up your cycle. I would watch your levels and when they all reach 0, your cycle should be complete.

As for the heater. Most recommend two, in case one fails.

Another thing, you can update your "my info" button w/your tank size/equipment and critters, so we can see what you have.

I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom