Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Smile New to tanks

Hello i am new to tanks. I was wanting to do a half land half saltwater aquarium like a beach but i was not sure where to get information about the animals I will have in the tank and if it will even work. I was going to have an emperor scorpion on the land portion and horseshoe crabs on the water portion with a ramp for the horseshoes to get in and out of the water. I do not believe the scorpion or horseshoe will bother each other. How would i go about making a half salt water half land tank? I am new thanks to any one who can help

Old 09-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Though I'm sure the concept can work, there are many flaw in the idea. It will be nearly impossible to keep a sand slope in a closed system. As for horseshoe crabs, a creature that should stay in the ocean as they need a huge amount of sandbed to eat out of.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Is there another substrate i can use to set the sand on top of so it will be more stable?
Old 09-26-2015, 11:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Anyone got any ideas? I'm really stumped. Ill probably end up experimenting with the cage before i order the animals but I've never done a tank this in depth before and I've never used salt water so :O
Old 09-26-2015, 11:13 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Your base and slope will have to be rock. The sand will never stay on the slope with the circulation you will need in the water to keep any type of animal alive.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would do a crab over a scorpion as the scorpion won't do good with the saltwater or the depth of the water. I've had them drown in shallow water dishes so I switched to using a wet sponge

Old 09-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

This would also have to be quite a wide but shallow tank. Like above the sand won't stay on the beach part for long and will turn to mush. Why don't you separate both parts with a plastic lip along the bottom of the tank to divide both.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tags
tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com