new to the hobbie and new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joseramentol

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello everyone i started my tank today and wanted to know what you guys think ive done right so far and done wrong and what i am missing,also what i should be checking for this 3 weeks of cycling the water.

-10 gallon tank (decided to start small)
-4.7 pounds of live rocks
-2 mechanical filters 1 on each side
-sand from the local aquarium store

i will be buying my light tomorrow as well as the heater

if you guys have any good tips please let me know this is my first time ever doing a salt water fish tank and need all the help i can get, i will also be posting pictures soon.:thanks:

Hi there, and welcome to the salty side. It seems like you're starting out ok. I'd read the articles on AA for more info:Saltwater

Any reason you decided on a 10g tank? A larger tank is 1) easier to maintain, and 2) can hold bigger/more fish. With a 10g tank, you're going to be very limited to the # and type of fish you can have.

If you have the space, I'd highly reccomend going larger, especially as a first tank.

well is started a 10 gallon tank because this tank is just for my room and i thought it would b easier until today that you are the 2nd person that tells me the larger the tank the easier it is lol :D

If you can, I'd like to suggest a 40g breeder as a small tank. Obviously, if you can go larger, I would but a 40g is a nice start. Good size to start with and you can keep a number of small fish in there.

By personal experience I can assure you'll be wanting a bigger tank within the first month or two and then you'd have to start your cycle all over again. I also recommend you start with something easily manageable like a 40 to 50 gallon tank that will give you room to grow. I have a 46 gallon euro tank and love it.

Starting with a 10 is kinda setting up for failure imo bigger tanks will forgive u a lot more for making newbie mistakes ... When I first started I had a 12 nano it made me give the hobbie up for well over a year know I'm a bit more exp the smaller ones are doable theyjust require a lot more attention

yea im deciding on getting a 75 gallon tank for the living room just so people can look at it as they walk in and it should give the house a nice touch but hopefully everything goes well with my 10 for now since i have that one in my room

My 90 gallon requires SO much less work than my 29. I would definitely recommend a 40-55 gallon starting tank, it will make the hobby much easier and fun for you. Getting a 10 gallon tank may ruin some of the fun for a beginner, because of all of the extra daily maintenance.

Also, having a tank next to my bed hasn't really helped with my sleep schedule. Even though the lights are off, I could spend hours every night watching it. if you have loud filters, you might want to consider getting ear-plugs.

My 90 gallon requires SO much less work than my 29. I would definitely recommend a 40-55 gallon starting tank, it will make the hobby much easier and fun for you. Getting a 10 gallon tank may ruin some of the fun for a beginner, because of all of the extra daily maintenance.

Also, having a tank next to my bed hasn't really helped with my sleep schedule. Even though the lights are off, I could spend hours every night watching it. if you have loud filters, you might want to consider getting ear-plugs.

no thank god my filters are pretty quiet so doesnt really bother and i always fall asleep with the tv on so im used to sleeping with noice (y)

Back
Top Bottom