New to the 'reef' side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccantlin

Aquarium Advice Freak
After keeping sw tanks for years with only fowlr I want to move towards keeping corals. Are there any cheap&easy to care for&nice looking starter corals? When I say cheap I mean $30 and under. I have a 220 gallon tank with 250lbs of rock, ho leds and t5 lighting, 3 penguin 400 hob filters and a protein skimmer can't remember what make it is. I do weekly water changes of 30 gallons. And I test my water weekly with an api sw test kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Green star polyps! Or mushrooms, leathers, zoas, pulsing xenas. All of those are good beginners

Avoid GSP, xenia, and kenya trees. They'll overwhelm the tank and you'll hate them over time.
Go towards zoas or palys that you really adore as they will spread around the tank.
Inexpensive varies per area...but if you have a good LFS they should have frag tanks and such. I stumbled upon a nice frag tank with 5 dollar frags and such and is an easy way to get things started off.

check out live aquara
Beginner Corals: Corals Suitable for Beginners in Saltwater Aquariums

just be sure to only buy coral your lighting will support this is the biggest part of keeping coral
theirs many places to get inexpensive corals , I have several good reef shops by me , I find deals from $5. to $30. on a lot of nice frags , all the time, your best bet would be to google local reef shops for your area ,

there are a lot of good deals online also a lot of the online stores have free shipping when you buy so much , this is when you find a friend or 2 go go in on the order with you ,
you sometimes can find good deal on craigs list local to you

Back
Top Bottom