New to the Saltwater World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kph21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 75 gal tank, with stand and a rena filstar xp4.

what should i buy? lighting, sump setup?

I would definitely get a sump tank so you can setup a place to put moss, bio-media and even a skimmer.

you can start a salt water tank with what you have.
you don't need lighting unless you are considering a reef. then you'll have to think about what corals you intend to keep and their particular requirements.
you'll need a power head or two for flow, and also some test kits (a refractometer to measure salinity also)

For the tanks setup you have the basic things you will want a refractometer, heater, and a test kit.

What types of coral require different types of lighting and what are good decent priced lighting options?

Coralife sells deceit lights and it is easy to get replacements for bulbs

For a 75 gallon tank I would either go with 6 t5's with individual reflectors or 2 250 MH with a couple of t5's. Think about the cost of bulb replacement and also heat when deciding

What about LED's are there any good LED for a reasonable start price?

Another question. What about keeping glass lid on top of tank? Pros vs cons?

Another question. What about keeping glass lid on top of tank? Pros vs cons?

One of the pros is that if you have fish that are jumpers, it will prevent them from jumping out. One of the cons is that they can get salt creep (salt buildup), and you may have to frequently clean them. If they aren't cleaned for a while, "stuff" can buildup, and not let as much light through. Saltwater is lots of fun! You will love it!:)

What's another idea instead of glass lid? Also should I get two light fixtures for my 48" long tank 24" each or just one 48" light fixture?

What's another idea instead of glass lid? Also should I get two light fixtures for my 48" long tank 24" each or just one 48" light fixture?

You could put some "mesh" or some kind of thing with little holes in it to prevent the fish from jumping out.
Personally, I would just go with a 48" long. Just sounds simpler to me.:)

There is a couple of other cons to having a glass cover on a saltwater tank one is gas exchange and the other is ph.

So what your saying is to not use a glass cover, will it also help with keepin the temp better regulated? Use an egg crate type material small enough that fish can't get through but light can pass through? What are the differences between using T5HO vs Led? I know they will generate less heat with led, any thoughts on the marineland reef capable system?

Back
Top Bottom